The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- METI requests tax reforms to improve Japan’s business environment.
- The ruling parties will decide the Outline of Tax Reform in December.
- R&D tax credit
- Provide tax credit for R&D targeting development of high-value added services to promote the fourth industrial revolution.
- Business restructuring
- Exempt certain business restructuring methods, such as corporate spin-offs, from tax to promote business reorganization in Japan.
- Attracting highly-skilled expatriates
- Revise inheritance tax for highly-talented expatriate workers to attract more interest in Japan.
- Scheduling flexibility for shareholders’ meetings
- Revise reporting dates for corporate tax returns to allow flexibility in organizing shareholders’ meetings.
- Overhaul of automobile taxation
- Extend tax incentives for eco-friendly automobiles and green tax incentives. Lower overall automobile tax rate.