Japan offers attractive opportunities for investors: cost competitiveness, a business-friendly environment, advanced technology and infrastructure, and a highly-skilled workforce. Global businesses can benefit from one of the world’s largest, most dynamic economies, as well as easy access to the Asia-Pacific. Japan welcomes investment from foreign companies. The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) is now taking a variety of measures to promote foreign direct investment in Japan.
- April 7, 2014
- Case Studies of Enterprises that Successfully Utilize Investment Partnerships with Overseas Businesses
- March 24, 2014
- Invitation of Applicants for the FY2014 Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Foreign Direct Investment, Site Location and Regional Development in Japan (Project of site location for global companies)
- March 17, 2014 Updated on April 1, 2014
- Calling for Applicants for the FY2014 Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Foreign Direct Investment, Site Location and Regional Development in Japan (Program for Japan’s Infrastructure Development for Promoting Establishment of New Business Facilities)
- February 26, 2014
- Website Renewal Announcement
- July 9, 2013
- Announcement of Projects Selected under FY2013 “Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan”
- June 12, 2013
- Update on 'Investment Incentives for Global Enterprises - Act for Promotion of Japan as an Asian Business Center' page.
- April 1, 2013
- Invitation of Applicants for the FY2013 Subsidy Program for Projects Promoting Asian Site Location in Japan
Information on measures to promote foreign direct investment in Japan
- Overview of the measures
- Individual measures
- Act on Promotion to Make Japan an Asian Business Center (preferential tax treatment etc.)
- Location subsidies
- Review of the points-based system that provides highly skilled foreign professionals with preferential immigration treatment
- “Towards Creating The World’s Most Business-Friendly Environment” (outline of new measures)(PDF:535KB)
- Survey of trends in business activities of foreign affiliates
- Survey of trends in business activities of foreign affiliates (in Japanese)
A general statistical survey on foreign –affiliated companies in Japan, conducted annually
Information and Support for foreign investment
The Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) is a government-related organization promoting mutual trade and investment between Japan and the rest of the world. As one of its activities, it offers foreign investors with abundant information on all aspects of doing business in Japan, by providing expert consultation and offering free temporary office space in major business areas across the country.
METI has established the “Invest Japan Office” in the Regional Bureaus of METI throughout Japan and the Department of Economy, Trade and Industry of the Okinawa General Bureau, to support foreign companies and investors who are interested in local investment by providing necessary information.
- INVEST JAPAN (Investment in JAPAN Information Center: IJIC)
- Japanese Law Translation (website of the Ministry of Justice)
Division in Charge
Trade and Investment Facilitation Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau