Agency for Natural Resources and EnergyMinister Edano Attended the 2012 APEC Energy Ministers Meeting (EMM10)
Mr. Yukio Edano, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, participated in the APEC Energy Ministers Meeting (EMM10) held in St. Petersburg, Russia, from June 24 to 25. Utilizing this opportunity, Minister Edano had bilateral meetings with Mr. Alexander Novak, Minister of Energy of the Russian Federation, Mr. Martin Ferguson, Minister of Resources, Energy and Tourism of Australia, Mr. Daniel B. Poneman, Deputy Secretary of Energy of the United States, and Mr. Vu Huy Hoang, Minister of Industry and Trade of Vietnam, to discuss the enhancement of cooperation and other issues in the energy sector.
1. APEC Energy Ministers Meeting
(2) Japan called attention to its commitment to contribute to global nuclear safety through sharing knowledge and experience of the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. Furthermore, Japan expressed its recognition of the significance of disseminating energy efficiency and renewable energy by way of technological development and promoting upstream development and expansion of free trade of natural gas. Japan also made a proposal concerning emergency responses in the event of energy supply disruptions and obtained approval from other economies.
(3) The consensus reached at this meeting was incorporated and summarized in the Ministerial Statement (St. Petersburg Declaration - "Energy Security: Challenges and Strategic Choices"), and Ministers in APEC economies confirmed that they would continue to strengthen efforts to create further concrete outcomes towards the APEC Ministerial Meeting and the APEC Economic Leaders Meeting to be held in Vladivostok, Russia, in September 2012.
2. Bilateral Meetings
(1) Mr. Alexander Novak, Minister of Energy of the Russian Federation
(2) Mr. Martin Ferguson, Minister of Resources, Energy and Tourism of Australia
(3) Mr. Daniel B. Poneman, Deputy Secretary of Energy of the United States
(4) Mr. Vu Huy Hoang, Minister of Industry and Trade of Vietnam
June 29, 2012
Division in Charge
International Affairs Division, Director-General's Secretariat, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy