On October 25, 2012, the Fourth Asia Green IT Forum was held in Seoul with the attendance of the governments and people involved in related industries and organizations of nine countries*1 in Asia. The aim of the forum is to bring together Asian countries to exchange information and share views on the importance of IT as a contributor to a low-carbon society, with an eye toward widely disseminating the concept of Green IT*2 and related activities across Asia.
At the forum, the participants held extensive discussions and issued a joint statement stipulating their future cooperation.
*1 Japan, China, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Indonesia, and the Philippines
*2 To address the increase in energy consumption by IT equipment in the midst of the information revolution, Japan's industry, government and academia have been working in cooperation to promote "Green IT," which pursues two goals: 1) saving in IT-related energy consumption and 2) energy conservation through the use of IT.
1. Asia Green IT Forum
The Asia Green IT Forum is a convention held by Asian countries that aims at exchanging information on the importance of Green IT among the governments and people involved in related industries and organizations and sharing views for future cooperation, for the purpose of disseminating the concept of Green IT and related activities across Asia. The first forum was held in Japan in 2009, as the first attempt in Asia, and the forum has been held four times now.
2. Outline of the fourth forum
- Date and venue: Thursday, October 25, 2012, at the Topaz room on the fourth floor, the Renaissance Seoul Hotel, Seoul, the Republic of Korea
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), Green IT Promotion Council/Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association
- Republic of Korea:
- Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Korea Green Business Association, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology (KITECH)
- China Electronic Chamber of Commerce (CECC)
- Ministry of Energy, Green Technology & Water
- Electrical and Electronics Institute (EEI)
- Ministry of Information and Communications, Vietnam Electronic Industry Association (VEIA)
- Manufacturer's Association for Information Technology (MAIT)
- Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Indonesia Telematics Software Association (ASPILUKI)
- Congressional Commission on Science & Technology and Engineering
- Summary of the forum
Japan and the Republic of Korea jointly held the forum. The forum shared information on the efforts for green IT made by member countries and future efforts were compiled into a joint statement. The countries agreed to promote independent initiatives dependent upon their individual progress concerning Green IT in addition to continuing to share information on those initiatives to enhance further cooperation among the countries.
3. Outline of the joint statement
1) Further promoting independent initiatives; 2) Promoting ITA (WTO Information Technology Agreement) expansion to assist green IT dissemination; 3) Promotion of energy-related measures; 4) Information-sharing for infrastructure development in Asia; 5) Green IT analyses; 6) Dissemination of data center metrics; 7) The fifth meeting of the Asia Green IT Forum
November 7, 2012
Division in Charge
Digital Consumer Electronics Strategy Office, Information and Communication Electronics Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau