On March 15, 2013, the Cabinet approved the Bill of the Act on the Japan Brand Fund*, and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) will submit the bill to the 183rd ordinary session of the Diet.
In order to contribute to the sustainable growth of Japan's economy, the bill aims to establish the Japan Brand Fund (hereinafter referred to as the "Fund"), which is a company to support business activities for cultivating overseas demand for Japan's attractive products or services that make full use of the unique characteristics of Japanese culture and lifestyle, through support measures, such as supplying risk money by utilizing the Special Account for the Fiscal Investment and Loan Program.
*Note: Japan Brand Fund is a tentative title.
1. Background of the bill and the purpose
As Japan is now facing the decline of domestic demand along with a decreasing birth rate and an aging population, as well as the market expansion and severe competition of business in emerging countries, it is necessary for Japan to take measures to sustain its economic growth.
To achieve this goal, it is imperative that Japan makes use of its attractive products or services that make full use of the unique characteristics of Japanese culture and lifestyle, and to develop the attractiveness into new business, so as to attract overseas demand to Japan.
2. Outline of the bill
Under the bill, the Fund will support business activities, such as distributing Japan's content, expanding overseas the products of regional enterprises that express their unique sense and creativity , and efficiently providing products or services related to the basic necessities of daily life, through support measures, such as investment in activities, dispatching experts, and counseling by such experts.
3. Outline of the Fund
1) Establishment and other information
- The Fund is to be established under the approval of the METI Minister
- The government of Japan is regularly to hold one half or more of the total number of issued shares of the Fund.
2) Subjects of the support measures
Subjects of the support measures are business activities that are to cultivate overseas demand for Japan's attractive products and services that make full use of the unique characteristics of Japanese culture and lifestyle.
3) Scope of the business activities
- The Fund will support business activities that are subject to a predetermined scope, through investment and other support measures.
- The Fund will provide business owners and others doing the activities mentioned in [i] above with support measures, such as dispatching experts and counseling by such experts.
4) Criteria for providing the measures
Criteria for providing the measures are to be stipulated from the viewpoints of profitability, ripple effects, or other points to be generated by such business activities.
- Overview of the Bill of the Act on Establishment of the Japan Brand Fund(PDF:89KB) Updated on March 19, 2013
March 15, 2013
Division in Charge
Creative Industries Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau