Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
Font Size Change
S
M
L

The Council for Promoting Housekeeping Support Services Compiled a Report-A Guideline for housekeeping business providers aimed at securing their service quality-

By uniting all of the efforts of ministries and agencies together, the Government of Japan has been endeavoring to realize a society in which women shine by fully utilizing the power of women - Japan’s greatest potentials -.

As one of the measures to achieve the goal, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) has established a Council for Promoting Housekeeping Support Services to develop an environment in which people are able to utilize reasonable and reliable housekeeping support services.

The council has been holding meetings since then, and METI hereby announces that the council finally compiled the results of the meetings in a report showing the guidelines.

1. Council for Promoting Housekeeping Support Services

Housekeeping support services have become more popular these days, but just about 3% of the public are current and past users of such services. The rest of the public, about 97%, have never used them before because of cost issues and a sense of reluctance against and anxiety about using such services.

Reference 1: Housekeeping support services
Housekeeping support services refer to service businesses in which business staff visits users’ houses and provide all or portions of housekeeping services for the users, including cleaning, washing and cooking.

Aiming to remove such a sense of reluctance and anxiety and to develop an environment in which people are able to use reasonable and reliable housekeeping support services, in July 2014, METI established the council of major business operators, and since then the council has held three meetings.

Reference 2: Japan Revitalization Strategy (revised in 2014) -Japan’s challenge for the future–(approved by the Cabinet on June 24, 2014) (excerpts)
- Realization of reasonable and reliable housekeeping support services
The Government will support voluntary initiatives by industry to ensure the quality of housekeeping support services, to reduce the burden on users and build a mechanism for the supply of reliable services. To this end, it will establish a committee composed of major business operators, which will consider specific measures and reach a certain conclusion within FY2014.

2. Guidelines for housekeeping support service business providers

The Council for Promoting Housekeeping Support Services has formulated guidelines, titled “Guidelines for Housekeeping Support Service Business providers,” according to which housekeeping support service business operators should provide their services for securing quality.

The guidelines describe identified items that such business providers are required to secure and also indicate the explanation of such items. At the same time, they include case examples of business efforts, sorted out based on the collection of leading businesses’ efforts that they have introduced into their businesses, so that such business providers are able to refer to the guidelines to satisfy the requirements for each items.

Items that housekeeping service business providers are required to secure, which are sorted and described in the guidelines

  • Conducting surveys to ascertain users’ needs
  • Designing services based on such users’ needs
  • Clarifying the details of the services that business providers provide
  • Concluding appropriate contracts with users
  • Communicating with users before providing services
  • Establishing a framework under which business providers will provide services
  • Clarifying how business providers provide users with services
  • Conducting surveys for ascertaining users’ satisfaction with services and improving services by reflecting the results in the services
  • Establishing a follow-up system for users

3. Future actions

METI will endeavor to assess business providers that have utilized the guidelines. Specifically, it will conduct the assessment effort for around two years under the framework of the International Standardization Projects, which is one of METI’s initiatives.

Reference 3: International Standardization Projects
This is one of METI’s initiatives to support Japanese enterprises to develop/propose international standards and establish testing system and conformity assessment system based on these standards.

For further details, see the Japanese language press release.

Release date

January 29, 2015

Divisions in charge

Economic and Social Policy Office, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau

Related Information

Service Industries Policy
Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
1-3-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8901, Japan Tel: +81-(0)3-3501-1511
Copyright Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. All Rights Reserved.