Japan Patent OfficeCommencement of Foreign Patent Information Service FOPISER- Search and query of foreign countries' patent information that previously could not be conventionally queried will be possible free of charge -
The Japan Patent Office (JPO) will start the query service for foreign patent information FOPISER on August 7, 2015. This service will allow users to search foreign countries' patent information that could not be conventionally queried through J-PlatPat (Japan Platform for Patent Information) and to query the information in Japanese, free of charge. The JPO intends to gradually expand the range of foreign patent information capable of being searched and queried even after commencement of the service.
1. Provision of foreign patent information
As suggested by the large increase in the number of patent applications filed abroad from Japan over the past 10 years, Japanese companies’ intellectual property-related activities have been globalized, and their interest in foreign patent information has increased. Accordingly, the JPO has exchanged patent information data not only with the other IP5 Offices, namely the EPO, KIPO, SIPO, and USPTO, but also with various other foreign patent offices by gradually expanding the range of countries with which data is exchanged.
For the purpose of providing ordinary users with foreign patent information that the JPO has received, the JPO will start the Foreign Patent Information Service (FOPISER). Through this service, it will be possible to quickly provide information on new foreign patents.
The service will make it possible to query patent information from foreign countries other than the countries* (including the U.S. and those in Europe) whose patent information is already being provided on J-PlatPat free of charge through an interface in Japanese. In addition, functions such as a simple search using classification information and keywords in English as well as machine translation into Japanese will be available.
(* Note: J-PlatPat provides patent information from Europe, the United States of America, China, the Republic of Korea, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Switzerland, and Canada and design information from the U.S. and the Republic of Korea )
2. Features of the foreign patent information service FOPISER
Major features of the service are as follows:
- The service stores patent / utility model documents from Russia, Taiwan, and Australia and design documents from Russia and Taiwan and allows users to query these documents by specifying a document number using a user-friendly user interface in Japanese.
- The patent / utility model documents from Russia, Taiwan, and Australia can also be searched in English through a simple search using classification information and keywords.
- Machine translation allows users to query these documents in Japanese.
- The system is cloud-based so that ordinary users can easily access the service through the Internet.
- A collection of links is provided on the service site for easy access to related information including information on intellectual property systems in other countries whose documents have been published on the site.
The FOPISER system has been planned and developed at the JPO so that it can flexibly support the advanced and diverse needs of users. Furthermore, the JPO intends to gradually expand the range of foreign patent information capable of being queried even after the commencement of the service. (Patent information from the Philippines, Singapore, and other countries is to be posted.)
3. Website of the foreign patent information service FOPISER
https://www.foreignsearch.jpo.go.jp/ (in Japanese)
1. The website will be available from 9:00 am on August 7 (Fri.), 2015.
2. Service hours: from 9:00 to 20:00 on days that the JPO is open
August 6, 2015
Division in Charge
- Information Technology and Patent Information Management Office, Japan Patent Office
- Patent Information Office, General Coordination Division, Policy Planning and Coordination Department, Japan Patent Office