IoT Acceleration Lab to Hold a Joint Event Finalists for the IoT Lab Selection event determined!
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the IoT Acceleration Lab have determined eight entities as finalists for the IoT Lab Selection program, in which outstanding IoT-based projects are selected and recognized.
On March 13 (Mon.), 2017, METI and the IoT Acceleration Lab will hold a presentation examination of the finalists of the IoT Lab Selection program and also hold a joint event consisting of IoT Lab Connection, Global Connection, Local IoT Acceleration Labs, and Data Innovation Workshop events.
With the advent of IoT, big data and AI, industries and society as a whole are seeing significant changes all over the world. In response to this situation, it is necessary for Japan, as well as other countries, to create new IoT business models, uncover and develop IoT platform creators, and use them as a driving force for new growth.
The IoT Acceleration Lab was established to cultivate and select advanced IoT projects and provide the selected projects with thorough support in terms of collaboration with enterprises, finance and regulations, and develop environments in which the results of the projects can be implemented at a large scale, e.g., regulatory reforms or creation of new systems. As part of the efforts, the IoT Acceleration Lab will hold the following events on March 13 (Mon.), 2017.
1) Third IoT Lab Selection for choosing the most advanced projects
Based on the results of the broad call for new IoT projects, on March 13 (Mon.), 2017, the IoT Acceleration Lab will hold the Third IoT Lab Selection for choosing the most advanced projects. At the event, the eight entities as finalists sorted by the first and second examinations will make presentations before the public as the final examination and the winners will be determined. The IoT Acceleration Lab will recognize the winners of the Grand Prix, Semi Grand Prix, and Examiners’ Special Award.
The eight entities as finalists are as follows:
- CLUE, Inc.
- THE Power Grid Solution Ltd.
- Dr. Hiroki Kobayashi, Center for Spatial Information Science, University of Tokyo
- Fukule Inc.
- Asia Air Survey Co., Ltd.
- Coaido Inc.
- Keychain Pte. Ltd.
- Mu Ltd.
In the collaboration with government-related organizations, financial institutes, venture capital businesses and other entities, the IoT Acceleration Lab will provide financial support, support from escorting mentors, and support for regulatory reforms and standardization with the finalists.
2) Fourth IoT Lab Connection (solution matching event)
As part of the efforts for supporting projects in collaboration with companies, the IoT Acceleration Lab will hold a business matching event targeting member companies, associations, municipalities and other entities that hold business seeds or seek to meet their customers’ needs. Through this event, the IoT Acceleration Lab aims to provide an opportunity with business owners who intend to create new business models to exchange views with other business owners who hold related business models or technologies as well as services, thereby leading to the creation of specific projects and the social implementation of the results.
- Themes on which the fourth event will focus:
- Agriculture and food
3) Second Global Connection event for project organization and collaboration with companies in the Republic of Estonia
From the standpoint of establishing an ecosystem in which Japanese companies lead in creating IoT projects, METI and the IoT Acceleration Lab have been engaging in an initiative called “Global Connection,” in which they endeavor to attract global enterprises to Japan and encourage Japanese companies to collaborate in developing business overseas. As part of the initiative, they will hold the Second Global Connection event on March 13 (Mon.), 2017, to match Japanese companies and 10 advanced IoT-based venture businesses participating in the event from Estonia, a country operating an e-government system believed to be world’s most cutting-edge technology in the field.
4) Presentations by applicants sorted by the first selection under the Local IoT Acceleration Lab program and the second selection
METI and the IoT Acceleration Lab have been calling for initiatives from the eligible entities, aiming to select such initiatives to create IoT business in local areas as Local IoT Acceleration Labs and to support the establishment of IoT business startups through such local efforts.
At the event on March 13 (Mon.), 2017, the IoT Acceleration Lab will hold a presentation examination in which the applicants (Sapporo City, Shihoro Town and Osaka City) sorted by the first selection under the Local IoT Acceleration Lab program will make presentations concerning their latest activities. Following this, the IoT Acceleration Lab will publicize the selected area sorted by the second selection.
5) Data Innovation Workshop
METI and the IoT Acceleration Lab aim to promote initiatives that create new value through the collaboration of companies and municipalities in sharing and utilizing data across sectoral frameworks. As part of the effort to achieve the goal, they will hold an event titled “Data Innovation Workshop,” focusing on the themes of health care (health and productivity management) and regional challenges (snow removal). At this event, participants, including municipalities, industries and other entities that have little interaction due to sectoral differences, will exchange views and will jointly develop ideas concerning approaches to utilizing data that companies and municipalities have accumulated.
2. Details of the joint event
- Date and time:
- March 13 (Mon.), 2017; from 10:00 to 18:00
- Hitotsubashi Hall
- (National Center of Sciences Building, 2-1-2, Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo)
- [IoT Lab Connection] 1:1 business matching and booth-based business matching of municipalities
- [IoT Lab Connection] Presentation matching event
- Presentation by the Financial Services Agency
- Presentation by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- Presentation by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Theme-based presentations by companies (Fintech, education, and agriculture and food)
- [Data Innovation Workshop]
- Healthcare (health and productivity management)
- Regional challenges (snow removal)
- [Global Connection] Presentations by companies from Estonia
- [Local IoT Acceleration Lab] Presentations by applicants sorted by the first selection
- Sapporo City
- Shihoro Town
- Osaka City
- [IoT Lab Selection] Third IoT Lab Selection for choosing advanced projects
- Presentations by finalists and final examination
- [Data Innovation Workshop] Announcement of outstanding teams
- [Local IoT Acceleration Lab] Publication of the area selected by the second selection under the Local IoT Acceleration Lab program
- Commendation ceremony to recognize a winner
- [IoT Lab Selection] Commendation ceremony to recognize the winners of the Third IoT Lab Selection
Note 1: Several events will be held simultaneously at different venues at Hitotsubashi Hall.
Note 2: This schedule may slightly change due to delays in progress and other factors during the events.
3. Prior registration of observers
If you are a member of the IoT Acceleration Lab and intend to observe the events, please register in advance by sending an application form through the website (in Japanese) :
Closing date: Midday, March 6 (Mon.), 2017
(Interviews will be available. When you wish to conduct an interview, please contact the Information Economy Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI. Telephone: 03-3501-0397)
- If you are not a member, please consult the membership guide and register in advance on the website before applying for the events.
- Please note that participants will be selected by lottery if the number of applicants exceeds the maximum capacity of the venue. METI will send an e-mail to all applicants for the events by March 9 (Thu.), 2017, regardless of the results of the lottery.
February 28, 2017
Division in Charge
- Information on the IoT Lab Selection, IoT Lab Connection and Data Innovation Workshop programs:
- Information Economy Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau
- Information on the Local IoT Acceleration Lab program:
- Information Service Industry Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau
- Information on the Global Connection program:
- Information and Communication Electronics Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau