Public-Private Council for Safety Measures in the Manufacturing Industry to be Established To further strengthen safety measures in the industry and convey related information
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW), and the Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association will establish a Public-Private Council for Safety Measures in the Manufacturing Industry in collaboration with the executive management of major sectors in the manufacturing industry. Under the public-private cooperation, the council will discuss future efforts to be implemented and disseminate the results of such efforts to the public, including awareness sharing and information conveyance concerning safety measures, promotion of on-site management capabilities, education and risk assessment, and enhancement of safety measures for facilities. It is the first initiative in Japan to establish such a public-private council in the field of safety measures to discuss issues and disseminate discussion results across different sectors.
1. Purpose of the council
To further strengthen the safety measures in the manufacturing industry, the council aims to analyze the awareness of the changes in the existing business environments involving safety and share the analysis results, discuss measures for improving the existing efforts as well as new efforts required therein, and promote the dissemination of discussion results to businesses, for example, production facilities, across sectors and in collaboration with the executive management of companies.
2. Details of the major activities of the council
- Analysis of changes in business environments involving safety and the sharing of analysis results
- Assessment of the existing efforts, and discussion and promotion of measures for improving such efforts
- Discussion on and promotion of new efforts
- Conveyance/promotion of dissemination of discussion results across Japan, taking advantage of the National Industrial Safety and Health Conference (annual conference held by the Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association)
3. Details of the first meeting of the council
- Date and time:
- March 6 (Mon.), 2017; from 15:00 to 16:30
- Meeting Room 227 on the 2nd floor, METI Annex
4. Members of the council
Board members in member companies of the following organizations:
- Petroleum Association of Japan
- Japan Cement Association
- Sokeizai Center
- Japan Aluminium Association
- Japan Chemical Industry Association
- Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association
- Japan Paper Association
- Japan Iron and Steel Federation
- Director-General, Research and Statistics Department (in charge of the Manufacturing Industries Bureau), METI
- Industrial Safety and Health Department, Labour Standards Bureau, MHLW
- Chairman, Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association
5. Future schedule
The council will hold periodic meetings and the meeting results will be announced at a variety of opportunities, including at the National Industrial Safety and Health Conference (from November 8 to 10, 2017, in Kobe, organized by the Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association).
In addition, on March 28, 2017, METI will hold a Symposium for Safety Measures in the Manufacturing Industry and discuss issues with experts, business operators in the major manufacturing sectors, and other stakeholders.
March 2, 2017
Division in Charge
Metal Industry Technology Office, Metal Industries Division, Manufacturing Industries Bureau