Announcement regarding Launching "Timestamp Token Deposition Service" Deposition of the "Key" to Prove the Existence of Electronic Documents
The National Center for Industrial Property Information and Training (INPIT), which co-operates with the Japan Patent Office (JPO), will launch the "Timestamp Token Deposition Service" on March 27, 2017. A timestamp token* to be deposited thereto would be used as a "key" to prove the existence of an electronic document.
* A timestamp token is a combination of hash value of a subject electronic document and its date-time information, both of which should be issued by a private time authentication service operator authorized in Japan.
Since recently most of technical and marketing materials generated in the course of business are stored electrically, the importance of managing such electronic materials is increasing significantly. In case where a defendant attempts to prove in the court that it owns trade secrets and/or has prior user rights, it also has the importance to prove when a defendant generated or since when it has possessed the relevant technical and/or marketing materials.
For such proving purpose, it would be advisable to use any private service which provides date-time information to electrically-stored materials (timestamp service). Meanwhile, there are some concerns about loss of such timestamp token provided by a private service operator unless it is stored separately with its backup.
2. Outline of the service
For backup, users can deposit to the INPIT, a public institution, with no charge timestamp tokens which are issued by private time authentication service operators authorized in Japan. This service enables users to download timestamp tokens and request to issue their certificate of deposition if and when required.
- Description of "Timestamp Token Deposition Service"
- "Timestamp Token Deposition Service" * Available from March 27
Service hours: 8:00 to 19:00 weekdays, JST
Contact for this news release material
- Takako Nakamura
- Director, Policy Planning and Research Division Policy Planning and Coordination Department the Japan Patent Office (JPO)
- Contact: K. Shimada, M. Adachi, T. Hirano
- Phone:03-3581-1101 (Ext. 2154)
- 03-3592-2910 (Direct)
- 03-3580-5741 (FAX)
March 24, 2017