Joint Press Release with the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications METI and MIC to Establish a Joint Director-General-Level Team To jointly advance a variety of policies in the field of IoT
A new joint team was established by the director-general, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), and the director-general, Global ICT Strategy Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC). The joint team will discuss a variety of topics in the field of IoT on a continual basis.
1. Details of the joint team
Aiming to promote the advancement of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, METI and MIC will jointly promote a variety of policies in the field of IoT in collaboration with the Strategic Headquarters for the Promotion of an Advanced Information and Telecommunications Network Society, in accordance with the provisions under the Basic Act on the Advancement of Utilizing Public and Private Sector Data (enforced on December 14, 2016) and other regulations.
The joint team including the director-general, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI, and the director-general, Global ICT Strategy Bureau, MIC, will begin work from March 2017 and will discuss the following six topics on a continual basis for an undefined period. METI and MIC will aim to incorporate the results of these discussions into the future policies of Japan.
2. Discussion topics
- Promoting investment in cyber security measures, etc.
- Fostering human resources in the IoT area
Developing institutional environments which promote information distribution
- Developing environments involving data transactions
- Promoting collaboration in authentication
- Demonstration testing of sharing economies and blockchain technologies, etc.
- Encouraging regional areas to utilize IoT technologies
- Expanding domestic efforts around the world, e.g., formulating proposals for international standardization
March 28, 2017
Division in Charge
Information Policy Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau