October 10, 2018
On October 9 (Tue.), 2018, in order to win broad support for Japan’s bid to host the world exposition in 2025 (Expo 2025) in Osaka, Kansai region, Japan held a forum titled “International Forum on Co-Creation for the UN SDGs ”Designing Future Society for Our Lives”” at Maison de la Culture du Japan à Paris, France, to explain the theme that it has proposed to the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE).
1. Background and purpose
Japan, Russia and Azerbaijan have declared candidature to host Expo 2025 (France, a country that initially declared candidature, dropped its bid in February 2018 to host the exposition). Japan held the forum to call the attention of the BIE member countries to the significance of the theme that Japan has proposed.
2. Outline of the forum
Japan held a panel discussion bringing together the former BIE president and experts involved in the fields of healthcare, innovation, and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and called the BIE member countries’ attention anew to the significance of the theme proposed by Japan and the appropriateness of Osaka, Kansai as a host of the Expo 2025. Moreover, through speeches by Mr. Yoshihiro Seki, State Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, and other stakeholders and video clips, Japan explained that it will aim to hold an exposition contributing to achieving the SDGs and to “co-create” a new exposition with participants worldwide. It also called the attention of the BIE member countries to Osaka, Kansai, the scheduled site, as a safe, secure and comfortable area.
Forum on Japan’s Proposal for Hosting Expo 2025
- Opening remarks by Mr. Yoshihiro Seki, State Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry
- Greeting from Mr. Vicente Gonzalez Loscertales, Secretary General of the BIE
- Panel discussion
Moderator: Ms. Miki Ebara (NHK)
- Ambassador Ole Philipson (former President of the BIE; Honorary Senior Advisor for Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansai
- Dr. Masha Le Gris Stromme (Co-founder, Fortuna Fix, a company in the field of regenerative medicine; Chaiman, Phoenix Solutions AS)
- Mr. David Monteau (Chief Marketing Development Officer, Skopai; former Director, French Tech)
- Mr. James Kuria (Deloitte Tohmatsu Consulting LLC, Japan)
- Speech by Mr. Toshinari Yakuo (Co-founder, WAKAZO)
- Presentation on the venue plan for Expo 2025 Osaka, Kansaihaku by Mr. Keisuke Toyoda (architect; Co-founder and Director Noiz Architects)
- Closing remarks by Mr. Hiroshi Ozaki (Chairman, Osaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry)
Note: Related video clips are as follows:
- [i] Video clip showing Japan’s concept of the exposition (1)
- [ii] Animation movie of “Co-Creation for the SDGs”
- [iii] Video clip showing Japan’s concept of the exposition (2)
- [ⅳ] Video clip showing Heart-whole welcome from Osaka, Kansai locals
* On December 1, 2018, the links for the video clips were removed with the expiration of license agreements.
Reception organized by the government of Japan
- Greeting from Dr. Toshiko Abe (State Minister for Foreign Affairs)
- Greeting from Mr. Masayoshi Matsumoto (Chairman, Kansai Economic Federation)
- Greeting from Mr. Hirofumi Yoshimura (Mayor, Osaka City)
4. Future schedule
November 23, 2018: General Assembly of the BIE (host country will be determined by a vote after the final presentation)
Division in Charge
International Exhibitions Promotion Office, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group