Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- METI aims to promote integrated industrial, trade and regional policies, and establish foundational economic and social systems and energy policies to support them.
- METI's FY2019 budget request amounts to approximately 1.4 trillion yen (12.4 billion USD).
- Following coordination with the Ministry of Finance (MOF) and Cabinet approval of the draft budget, the Diet will begin deliberations.
1. Realize Society 5.0 through open innovation centered on data
- Support the development of data-based services by collaborating with AI ventures to expand cooperative areas through data sharing.
- Expand uptake of cashless transactions by helping SMEs introduce equipment and promote QR code standardization.
117.4 billion yen (1.04 billion USD)
2. Implement new “rule-based” trade strategies
- Expand JETRO's functions both in terms of policy and in terms of systems, by strengthening the functions of overseas bases.
33.9 billion yen (300 million USD)
3. Create new development models for SMEs and regional areas
- Offer support for the development of new products and services and cultivation of sales channels that will enhance the productivity of SMEs.
168.1 billion yen (1.49 billion USD)
4. Shift toward new energy sources to create virtuous cycles for growth and the environment
- Demonstrate the world's first international hydrogen supply system using untapped overseas energy sources such as lignite.
- In Fukushima, demonstrate the world’s most expansive use of CO2-free hydrogen energy derived from renewable sources.
830.6 billion yen (7.35 billion USD)
5. Build a new economic and social system that is both equitable and primed for growth
- Prepare guidelines to provide public school students with education based on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematics) and AI-based learning programs tailored to each individual’s abilities.
9.1 billion yen (81 million USD)