Importance of Renewable Energy
- Renewable energy
- contributes to solving global warming
- reduces import dependency through energy diversification (energy security)
- contributes to creating new industries and jobs
- Records and targets of Japan’s renewable energy introduction are comparable to those of other major nations.
- Technology is Japan’s edge and introduction needs to be further expanded through technological development and promotion measures.
- However, the introduction of renewable energy systems always involves issues, such as output instability, high costs, and site constraints.
Share of renewable energy in final energy consumption (2005) and goals (2020) of different countries/regions
* Note: The figure indicates the ratio of final energy consumption
The ratio of renewable energy to primary energy supply in Japan is 5.9%(2005).
* Japan's renewable energy in final energy consumption in 2020 includes air thermal energy, etc.
* Source: Compiled by METI on the basis of documents released by each country.