The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) considers it important for Japan to play a leading role in the world in the field of automated driving and to contribute to solving a variety of problems related to the automobile industry.
METI is taking the following initiatives to advance discussions on necessary actions in "all-Japan" industry-academia-government collaboration; i) clarifying the ideal future vision of automated driving for passenger cars; ii) identifying areas that require cooperative initiatives; iii) developing an institutional system to strategically respond to the creation of international rules (criteria and standards); and iv) promoting industry-academia collaboration.
Panel on Business Strategies for Automated Driving
METI and the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) jointly established the Panel on Business Strategies for Automated Driving in February 2015. Aiming at encouraging the Japanese automobile industry to ensure competitiveness in the field of automated driving and contributing to reducing the amount of traffic accidents worldwide, the Panel has been collaboratively holding discussions with government, industry and academia.
On March 30, 2018, the Panel released "Action Plan for realize the Automated Driving" Version 2.0 based on the result of the discussions under the Panel.
- Panel on Business Strategies for Automated Driving “Action Plan for Realizing Automated Driving” Version2.0 （Summary） (PDF:162KB)
- Panel on Business Strategies for Automated Driving “Action Plan for Realizing Automated Driving” Version2.0 （Outline） (PDF:5,048KB)
- Panel on Business Strategies in Automated Driving “Action Plan for Realizing Automated Driving” Version2.0 （Full text） (PDF:1,332KB)
Previous version of the Action Plan (released on March 14, 2017)
- Panel on Business Strategy of Automated Driving Compiled a Report, "Action Plan for realize the Automated Driving"（March 14, 2017）News Release
- “Symposium on Social Acceptability” of Autonomous Driving Technology to be Held (March 8, 2021)
- Successful Autonomous Driving Technology Tests for Truck Platooning (March 5, 2021)
- FY2020 Online Symposium for Smart Mobility Challenge to be Held (August 21, 2020)
- Public Road Demonstration Tests of Mid-Sized Buses with Autonomous Driving Systems to be Launched (July 10, 2020)
- The Subcommittee on Business Discussions on Autonomous Driving Technologies Compiles “Progress report on efforts to support the development of autonomous driving technologies and create adequate policies version 4.0 ” (May 12, 2020)
- Pre-Demonstration Tests for a Small-sized Bus with an Autonomous Driving System to be Conducted in Advance of Scheduled Demonstration Tests for Mid-sized Buses with Autonomous Driving Systems (January 22, 2020)
- Bus Operation Businesses Determined Concerning the Public-Road Demonstration Tests for Mid-sized Buses with Autonomous Driving Systems (October 16, 2019)
- Call for Applicants for Transportation Businesses to Operate Public-Road Demonstration Tests for Mid-sized Buses with Autonomous Driving Functions (June 26, 2019)
- Public-Road Demonstration Tests of Autonomous Driving System Using Driverless Trucks in Caravan on Expressway to be Held (June 7, 2019)
- Symposium for Smart Mobility Challenge to be Held (May 22, 2019)
- Project for Public-Road Demonstration Tests for Mid-sized Buses with Autonomous Driving Functions to be launched (April 19, 2019)
- Smart Mobility Challenge to Start (April 8, 2019)
- Embarking on Demonstration Tests of Autonomous Driving System using Driverless Trucks in Caravan to Travel on Public Expressways (January 8, 2019)
- New Demonstration Test of Remote Control of Driverless Last-Mile Autonomous Driving to Start (November 14, 2018)
- Demonstration Test of Autonomous Valet Parking Functions to be Held (October 23, 2018)
- Initiation of Demonstration Test for Evaluation of Last-Mile Autonomous Driving Using Small Buses with Autonomous Driving Function (August 27, 2018)
Division in Charge
Electric Vehicle, Advanced Technology and ITS Promotion Office, Automobile Division, Manufacturing Industries Bureau