METI promotes development of environment for international arbitration that supports businesses.
International arbitration is a private dispute resolution procedure. Parties choose third party arbitrators who make binding decisions in order to resolve disputes.
International Arbitration in Japan
A booklet “International Arbitration in Japan” provided by the Japan International Dispute Resolution Center (JIDRC)
Amendment of the Foreign Lawyers Act
On May 22, 2020, the Diet approved the amendment of the Foreign Lawyers Act which expands the scope of legal services that foreign lawyers can provide in international arbitration proceedings.
See the summary document below for the details of the amendments.
- JIDRC-Osaka started its operation in 2018.
- JIDRC-Tokyo started its operation in 2020.
- The Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA)
- International Arbitration Center in Tokyo(IACT)
- Japan International Mediation Center Kyoto(JIMC-Kyoto)
- Japan Association of Arbitrators (JAA)
Division in ChargeTrade Promotion Division, Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau