July 13, 2018
Joint Press Release with the Cabinet Office
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Cabinet Office (CAO) have jointly been deploying a project called “Space New Economy Creation Network (S-NET).” Under the project, METI and CAO have been holding regional business matching events between the space industry and other industries, aiming to facilitate the creation of new industries and services taking advantage of business involving space. As an initiative in FY2018, METI and CAO will strive to further enhance S-NET’s efforts to more sustainable, autonomous, and practical and to broaden the base on which the space industry will develop.
In March 2016, CAO launched the S-NET project and established a new networking framework in which any and all companies, individuals, associations and other entities that are interested in creation of new industries and services involving space (a keyword concept of the framework), are able to participate. Since then, S-NET, jointly operated by CAO and METI, has been engaging in activities and has found several challenges in its activities.
To overcome such challenges, as an initiative in FY2018, the third year since the inauguration of S-NET, CAO and METI decided to further enhance S-NET’s efforts to be more sustainable, autonomous, and practical, not limited to seminars and other activities, in collaboration with the Japan Space Systems (JSS) and the Remote Sensing Technology Center of Japan (RESTEC).
Specifically, the organizations involved in S-NET will engage in efforts according to the five pillars below, such as an increase in the number of consultation counters in four cities across Japan and provision of intensive support for Municipalities for Promoting Creation of Space Business selected through a call for applicants. Through this enhancement, CAO and METI will strive to broaden the base on which the space industry will develop more business and to support the industry in creating new business taking advantage of satellite data. For more information, see Appendix 1 attached to the Japanese language news release. (PDF:109KB)
2. Five pillars for enhancing S-NET
- Increase the number of S-NET consultation counters for space business [sustainable effort]
- Foster and support Municipalities for Promoting Creation of Space Business [autonomous effort]
- Deliver lectures in regional areas on utilization of satellite data, etc. [practical effort]
- Hold annual events on space-related business in major cities across Japan [sustainable effort]
- Convey more information to the public [practical effort]
- S-NET website (in Japanese)
- S-NET Facebook account (in Japanese)
- S-NET Twitter account (in Japanese)
Division in Charge
Space Industry Office, Manufacturing Industries Bureau, METI