Call for Applicants for Japan-China Co-Production of Films under the Film Co-Production Agreement between Japan and China Starts
September 12, 2018
On September 12 (Wed.), 2018, a call for applicants for Japan-China co-production of films was started. The co-production of films is one of the efforts under the International Co-Production Certification Program pursuant to the Film Co-Production Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the People’s Republic of China (hereinafter referred to as the “Agreement”) that came into force in May 2018.
1. Outline of the Agreement
The Agreement, which came into force on May 9, 2018, aims to fortify exchange of film-making associations between Japan and China and to expand efforts for co-production of films between them. Through this expansion, the Agreement is expected to contribute to promoting mutual understanding between people in Japan and China by providing them with greater opportunities to enjoy jointly-produced films
With an approval issued under the Agreement, producers will be eligible to enjoy all benefits, both in Japan and China, that the countries respectively provide to certain film producers under the domestic laws.
- For the text of Film Co-production Agreement between the Government of Japan and the Government of the People’s Republic of China (published on the MOFA website)
2. International Co-production Certification Program
If a producer intends to co-produce a film between Japan and China and wishes to receive an approval under the Agreement, he/she is required to receive another approval under the International Co-production Certification Program, an initiative operated by the Japan Association for International Promotion of the Moving Image (UNIJAPAN), an organization certified to organize Japan-China co-production of films under the Agreement.
For information on documents necessary for filing a request for the UNIJAPAN approval and other information, visit the following UNIJAPAN website.
- Official UNIJAPAN website for the International Co-Production Certification Program under the Agreement (in Japanese)
- Contact counter:
- Office for Approval for the International Co-production Certification Program, UNIJAPAN
Divisions in Charge
- Media and Content Industry Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- First China and Mongolia Division, Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Office for Cultural Support and Promotion, Fine Arts Division, Cultural Properties Department, Agency for Cultural Affairs