October 12, 2018
On October 11 (Thur.), 2018, Mr. Tatsuya Terazawa, Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), and Mr. Luo Wen, Vice Minister of Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), the People’s Republic of China, held a Vice-Minister-Level Regular Consultation. This is the second consultation since its inauguration in 2012.
Both sides exchanged views and shared recognition on cooperation in the field of automobiles, and in establishment of a Chinese Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances (RoHS) system, convening of seminars on smart manufacturing and other issues. Following this, they agreed on further enrichment of dialogues and exchange in the future.
Highlights of the consultation results
- Both sides welcomed the convening of the First Japan-China Joint Public-Private Seminar on Autonomous Driving on October 12, 2018, and confirmed that the two countries will continue cooperation in practical matters involving policymaking, harmonization of standards, technical research, human resource development and other areas in the field of autonomous driving. Moreover, both sides welcomed the progress made in joint development of standards for ultrafast charging of electric vehicles, a project conducted by industrial associations in Japan and China, and agreed that harmonized standards are expected to contribute to further dissemination of infrastructures to further disseminate across the world.
- Concerning the Chinese RoHS system, Japan mentioned the importance of introducing companies’ submission of a self-certification concerning compliance with technical standards as an option into the conformity assessment system, and China showed a positive response. Following this, both sides confirmed that industrial associations in both countries will hold discussions on this issue.
- Both sides recognized the importance of enhancing cooperation in the field of smart manufacturing in Japan and China and confirmed the joint convening of the Second Japan-China Smart Manufacturing Seminar by the end of 2018.
- Both sides exchanged views on the improvement of business environments in the iron and steel, and semiconductor industries and on Japan-China business exchange in the field of ultra-high-definition television sets.
- Both sides confirmed that Japan and China will continue to discuss the points of contention discussed at the second consultation and that they will confirm the results of such discussions at the next consultation. In addition, they also confirmed that the next consultation will be held in China in 2019.
Division in Charge
Northeast Asia Division, Trade Policy Bureau