October 15, 2018
On October 19, 2018, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Robot Revolution Initiative of Japan (RRI) will jointly hold a National Forum of Smart Monodzukuri Supporting Organizations. This forum aims to broadly share among the public the efforts for supporting mid-ranking companies and SMEs in introducing IoT and robots into their business, which are initiatives that have been conducted by the hub supporting organizations under the Supporting Teams for Smart Monodzukuri project.*
1. Background and purpose
As Japanese companies are facing emerging labor shortages in regional areas and challenges in improving productivity, METI has been conducting measures for supporting mid-ranking companies and SMEs in introducing IoT and robots into their business under the Supporting Teams for Smart Monodzukuri project.
As one such effort, METI and RRI will hold a National Forum of Smart-Manufacturing Supporting Organizations- Connecting, Tying and Sharing- as an opportunity to broadly share among the public the efforts and knowhow in smart monodzukuri by the base organizations and other entities under the Supporting Teams for Smart Monodzukuri project.
In the latter half of the forum, METI and RRI will provide poster presentation sessions as an opportunity for supporters of mid-ranking companies and SMEs to exchange opinions.
*Note: The Supporting Teams for Smart Monodzukuri conducts training courses targeting human resources having rich experiences on manufacturing floors and those having knowledge of IoT and robots to encourage such human resources to master general-purpose skills required for leaders, and dispatch the leaders who have completed the courses to manufacturing floors of mid-ranking companies, SMEs and small enterprises. Through this project, METI aims to promote productivity improvement in the manufacturing industry and encourage companies to cultivate new business.
Scene of the 2017 forum
2. Outline of the forum
October 19 (Fri.), 2018; from 10:15 to 12:45
From 10:15 to 11:45: Main Stage, East Hall 6, Tokyo Big Sight
From 11:45 to 12:45: Stage A, East Hall 6, Tokyo Big Sight
Co-organizers:METI and RRI
Moderator: Mr. Keijyu Matsushima, Chairman, Mid-ranking Companies and SMEs Action Group, RRI
- Opening remarks:
Mr. Yoji Ueda, Deputy Director-General, Manufacturing Industries Bureau, METI
- Explanation of policies
- Manufacturing Industries Bureau, METI
- Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI
- Business Support Division, Small and Medium Enterprise Agency (SMEA)
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
- Case study:
- Supporting Team for Smart Monodzukuri (Northern Advancement Center for Science and Technology)
- Supporting Team for Smart Monodzukuri (Saitama Sangyou Souzou Zaidan)
- Local IoT Acceleration Lab (Nagaoka City)
- Yorozu Support Center (Organization for Small & Medium Enterprises and Regional Innovation, JAPAN)
- Closing remarks:
Mr. Yosuke Nakamura, Member, IoT Utilization Expert Committee, Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Opinion exchange:
Poster presentation sessions (17 base supporting organizations and five other associations)
3. Prior registration for attending the forumIf you are interested in regional activities for supporting smart monodzukuri, including the development of base organizations for the Supporting Teams for Smart Monodzukuri, e.g., new establishment and efforts for seeking collaboration with related organizations, and wish to attend the event, visit the following website for prior registration. Admission is free.
Division in Charge
Policy Planning and Coordination Division, Manufacturing Industries Bureau, METI