October 22, 2018
On October 22 (Mon.), 2018, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Asia Pacific Energy Research Centre (APERC) held the LNG Producer-Consumer Conference 2018 in Nagoya City, Aichi Prefecture.
This year, the seventh conference was held in collaboration with the private sector to fortify the operational framework, bringing together approximately 1,000 people involved in the field from 28 nations and regions around the world, including ministerial-level officials and top executives from related enterprises. Participants shared their views on the latest trends in the LNG market and also deepened discussions concerning the future development of the LNG market.
- At the conference, participants recognized the recent changes in the LNG market as the “1st LNG Revolution,” and held discussions on: approaches to ensuring gas security through establishment of a flexible and transparent LNG market; importance of LNG in energy systems and new demand for LNG; and approaches to securing LNG supply under the current circumstance in which businesses are facing changes in styles of LNG trade contracts.
- Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, stated, as part of Japan’s contribution to expanding the LNG market, its fundamental expansion of financial support for LNG-related projects and future support for LNG consumers in developing systems and plans. Following this, he encouraged the producers and consumers to collaborate in enhancing LNG security.
- In addition, he held a briefing on the outcomes of four Japan-EU LNG workshops under the Japan-EU memorandum of cooperation on LNG signed by the responsible ministers in July 2017.
- Moreover, Minister Seko held bilateral meetings with 6 ministers and other officials and with one director of an international organization’s secretariat who were participating in the conference, and exchanged views concerning cooperation toward the development of the international LNG market, and issues involving the field of energy in respective countries.
Minister Seko delivering a speech
- Japan’s Contribution towards Market Expansion of LNG security(PDF:729KB)
- Summary of the Final Report on the Workshop series - Promoting and Establishing a Liquid, Flexible and Transparent Global Liquefied Natural Gas Market(PDF:186KB)
- LNG Producer-Consumer Conference 2018 to be Held (press release on March 15, 2018)
- Official website of LNG Producer-Consumer Conference 2018
Division in Charge
International Affairs Division, Commissioner’s Secretariat & Petroleum and Natural Gas Division, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy