October 23, 2018
Agency for Natural Resources and Energy
On October 23, 2018, Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, and H.E. Dr. Megan Woods, Minister, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MOC) on Hydrogen.
New Zealand is a country rich in renewable resources as seen in its significant use of geothermal and hydroelectric power generation. Production of hydrogen taking advantage of these energy sources is expected to contribute to achieving low carbonization of energy.
Against this backdrop, METI and MBIE signed an MOC on Hydrogen to fortify New Zealand-Japan collaboration toward the realization of a “Hydrogen Society”.
2. Key points of the MOC
Under the MOC, Japan and New Zealand will encourage the governments, industrial players and research institutes of both countries to collaborate, aiming to promote cooperation in the field of hydrogen by taking the following approaches:
- Facilitation of human exchanges among government officials, academic institutions and exchange of information on hydrogen policy in order to create a hydrogen industry;
- Cooperation on development of renewable energy based hydrogen production technology;
- Cooperation on creating a hydrogen strategic roadmap for New Zealand to develop and expand the demand of hydrogen in New Zealand;
- Cooperation toward creation of an international supply chain of hydrogen;
- Cooperation to reduce hydrogen supply chain cost(s) to make hydrogen competitive with other energy resources;
- Cooperation toward initiatives to disseminate hydrogen technology utilization policies throughout the world;
- Cooperation on exchanging information to coordinate regulations, codes and standards for expanding hydrogen demand and supply;
- Consideration of other possible initiatives to promote the research, development and use of hydrogen bilaterally, regionally and internationally; and
- Sharing information on hydrogen safety to enable safe and sustainable production, delivery, storage and infrastructure operation.
3. Release date of the MOC
October 23 (Tue.), 2018
- Memorandum of cooperation between the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment of New Zealand on hydrogen(PDF:110KB)
Division in Charge
Advanced Energy Systems and Structure Division, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Department, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy