October 29, 2018
From October 25 (Thur.) to 27 (Sat.), 2018, Mr. Hirofumi Takinami, Parliamentary Vice-Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, visited the French Republic to attend a Global Conference on Energy Efficiency organized by the International Energy Agency (IEA).
1. Attending the IEA Global Conference on Energy Efficiency
On October 26 (Fri.), 2018, Parliamentary Vice-Minister Takinami attended an IEA Global Conference on Energy Efficiency* and held discussions with participating ministers and officials from member countries. Mainly focusing on the following issues, Japan presented domestic efforts for energy efficiency and the importance of international cooperation to promote worldwide energy efficiency.
*Note: The IEA organizes a series of these conferences to share innovative efforts and the latest knowledge among member countries, aiming to accelerate efforts for energy efficiency at a global scale, bringing together ministries, top executives of private companies and other stakeholders. The 2018 conference was the third in the series and was held in Paris.
- Under the Top Runner Program, a domestic system pursuant to the Act on the Rational Use of Energy, Japan has greatly improved the energy efficiencies of vehicles, equipment and other machinery and has been promoting efforts for such improvement by type of industry. Japan will continue to lead the world in the field of energy efficiency.
- Japan will further advance efforts for energy efficiency toward 2030. To this end, under the revised Act on the Rational Use of Energy, established in June 2018, the Government of Japan will further encourage companies to conduct efforts for energy efficiency through appropriate assessment of inter-company collaborative efforts for energy efficiency and other initiatives.
- In 2019, under the chairmanship of Japan, the G20 Ministerial Meeting on Energy Transitions and Global Environment for Sustainable Growth will be held. At the meeting, Japan will lead discussions on energy efficiency so as to accelerate global efforts for energy efficiency and achieve international cooperation therefor.
2. Meeting with H.E. Dr. Fatih Birol, Executive Director, IEA
Taking the opportunity of the conference, Parliamentary Vice-Minister Takinami held a meeting with H.E. Dr. Fatih Birol, Executive Director, IEA. Both sides exchanged views concerning the importance of the IEA’s well-balanced analysis to achieve global-level energy transitions, including promotion of energy efficiency.
Meeting with Executive Director Birol, IEA
Division in Charge
International Affairs Division, Commissioner’s Secretariat, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy