November 23, 2018
On November 23 (Fri.), 2018, at the 164th General Assembly of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), Japan has been elected as the host country of World Expo 2025 through a vote by the BIE member states.
On November 23 (Fri.), 2018, at the BIE’s 164th General Assembly in Paris, the candidatures to host World Expo 2025 made presentations before the BIE member states as the final presentation before the voting for determining the host country.
Following the presentations, Japan was elected as the host country of World Expo 2025 through a vote by the BIE member states.
2. Results of the voting
The results of the vote by the BIE member states to elect the host country for World Expo 2025 are as follows:
First round results (number of votes obtained)
Japan - 85
Russia - 48
Azerbaijan - 23
Second round results (number of votes obtained)
Japan - 92
Russia - 61
3. Outline of Japan’s presentation
Through the video message by Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister, the speech by Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, and other occasions, Japan stressed that it will hold the exposition by upholding three promises: [i] contributing to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), [ii] achieving “co-creation” of the exposition with participating countries, and [iii] making the exposition safe and comfortable for visitors. Moreover, Japan called the attention of the BIE member states to the full preparation of Osaka, Kansai Region for welcoming people worldwide.
4. Details of the presentation
- Video clip for opening the presentation
- Speech [i]: Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry(PDF:204KB)
- Video clip for Japan’s concept [i]
- Speech [ii]: Ms. Michiko Ogawa, Member, Executive Board, Panasonic(PDF:171KB)
- Video clip for Japan’s concept [ii]
- Speech [iii]: Mr. Tomiyasu Nakamura, Commissioner General for EXPO, Senior Adviser, JETRO(PDF:183KB)
- Video clip for Japan’s concept [iii]
- Speech [iv]: Mr. Ibai Ameztoy, CEO,(PDF:188KB)
- Video clip for closing the presentation in which Prime Minister Abe delivered his message
* On December 1, 2018, the links for the video clips were removed with the expiration of license agreements.
Division in Charge
International Exhibitions Promotion Office, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group