METI Releases Interim Report of the Study Group for the Improvement of the Trade Environment Involving Digital Platform Businesses
December 12, 2018
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) and the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) hereby release an interim report generated by the Study Group for the Improvement of the Trade Environment Involving Digital Platform Businesses.
The Future Investment Strategy 2018 approved by the Cabinet in June 2018 states that with a view to making rules in response to the rise of the platform business model, fundamental principles should be finalized and specific measures should be implemented promptly during this year. In light of this, on July 10, 2018, METI, JFTC, and MIC launched the Study Group for the Improvement of the Trade Environment Involving Digital Platform Businesses, which consists of experts from various disciplines including competition policy, information policy, and consumer policy. Since then, the study group has been advancing research and discussions.
On November 5, 2018, METI, JFTC and MIC announced that the study group generated a draft interim report and announced a public call comments on the draft report until December 4, 2018, receiving 74 comments in total. Based on the comments and the results of interviews with businesses conducted at the respective meetings, the study group finalized the interim report, and METI, JFT and MIC hereby release the report (see the Appendices attached to the Japanese language press release).
To address the issues described in the report, METI, JFT and MIC will strive to advance the formulation of the fundamental principles for platform businesses, and discussions toward implementation of specific measures based on the principles.
For further details, see the Japanese language press release.
- METI releases Draft Interim Report of the Study Group on the Improvement of the Trade Environment Involving Digital Platform Businesses (press release on November 5, 2018)
- [Outline] Interim Discussion PaperEnglish version was posted on May 27, 2019
- Interim Discussion Paper_Improvement of Trading Environment surrounding Digital PlatformsEnglish version was posted on May 27, 2019
Division in Charge
- Information Economy Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI
- General Affairs Division, Economic Affairs Bureau, General Secretariat, JFT
- Broadcasting Policy Division, Information and Communications Bureau, MIC