December 19, 2018
The Japan Patent Office
On December 19, 2018, the Japan Patent Office (JPO) opened a portal website targeting startups titled “IP Knowledge Base for Startups.” This website will collectively provide useful information for startups such as need-to-know basics concerning intellectual property (IP) strategies, support measures and the latest event information, etc.
Aiming to develop the website into an IP virtual community of which startups first and foremost visit to learn about IP, connect startups and IP experts, the JPO will consistently enrich the content of the website.
In order for startups to expand business, collaborate with large companies, develop business overseas and become unicorns, they need to differentiate their business from other companies and establish their own brands, by combining core technologies, ideas and appropriate IP strategies.
In April 2018, targeting startups, the JPO released the IP Strategies for Startups, a collection of IP strategic case examples of venture businesses at home and overseas, and other documents. In addition, it has been implementing a variety of support measures, including the IP Acceleration Program for Startups (IPAS) and the Super Accelerated Examination for venture businesses.
To collectively provide information for startups concerning such efforts, the JPO hereby opened a portal website targeting startups titled “IP Knowledge Base for Startups.” This website also aims to form an IP virtual community in which startups, venture capitals, accelerators and other businesses are able to communicate with patent attorneys, advocates and other IP experts, and provide a foundation on which startups can advance business activities.
2. The content (tentative)
- Information exclusively for members of the website (bulletin boards, registration for receiving email newsletters, theme-based workshops, etc.);
- Information on efforts for popularizing the position of the Chief Intellectual Property Officer (CIPO);
- Information on IP-related activities by startups (press releases, etc.);
- Information on efforts for popularizing IP pro bono activities, side jobs and internships;
- Basic knowledge on IP about which startups should learn;
- Support measures for startups provided by the JPO and other related ministries and agencies (information on calls, etc.); and
- Announcement of related events and results thereof.
Note: In the beginning of 2019, the JPO will call for members of the website and open additional website pages exclusively for members.
Division in Charge
Policy Planning and Research Division, Policy Planning and Coordination Department, JPO