Blockchain Hackathon to be Held on the Subjects of Academic Degrees, Courses and Career Certifications as well as Management of Research Data
Toward establishing a social foundation in which authenticity is secured
December 27, 2018
As the first step to embark on social implementation of blockchain technologies in the domains of academic degrees, courses and career certifications as well as recording and storing of research data, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) will hold an event titled “Blockchain Hackathon” (secretariat: Recruit R&D Staffing Co., Ltd.) on February 9, 16 and 17, 2019.
METI has been holding discussions on the applicability of the technologies to the domains of academic degrees, courses and career certifications as well as management of research data, taking advantage of its project titled “FY2018 Industrial Technology Survey”(Research for Applicability of Blockchain Technologies to Universities and Research Institutes to Promote Mobility of Domestic and Overseas Human Resources and Secure Reliability of Research Results as well as Research for Winning of Standards therefor).
In light of the discussion results, METI will organize a Blockchain Hackathon, aiming to further promote social implementation of the technologies.
2. Outline of the event
- February 9 (Sat.), 2019: Opening ceremony and workshop
- February 16 (Sat.) and 17 (Sun.), 2019: Examination and networking event
- Venue: Lifull Hub (2nd floor of Lifull Co., Ltd.; 1-4-4 Kojimachi, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo)
- Eligible persons: IT engineers, students and workers who are interested in the blockchain technologies (approximately 70 people)
- Examination and honoring: Outstanding engineers will be recognized by awards after screening by examination commissioners.
- If you wish to participate in the event, you are required to send a completed application form after providing consent on the terms and conditions of the event. METI will begin receiving the forms around mid-January 2019.
- Please note that participants will be selected by lottery, based on the application documents submitted for reference, if the number of applicants exceeds the maximum capacity of the venue. The secretariat will send you an email on whether or not you have been selected to participate in the event.
Division in Charge
- Information on the project that METI has commissioned:
Industry-University Collaboration Office, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau, METI
- Information on the event in general:
Recruit R&D Staffing Co., Ltd.
Note: The company will close office from December 29, 2018, to January 6, 2019, due to the winter holidays.