June 13, 2018
The Government of Japan and the 2025 Japan World Expo Committee jointly made their third presentation before member countries of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) attending the BIE General Assembly held in Paris on June 13, 2018, as a part of the bid to host the World Expo 2025 in Osaka, Kansai Region.
1. Background and purpose
Three countries, i.e., Russia, Azerbaijan and Japan, have declared candidature to host the World Expo163rd 2025 (France dropped its bid to host the exposition in February 2018). Taking the opportunity of the BIE General Assembly held in Paris on June 13, 2018, these countries made their third presentation before the BIE member countries, following on from the first and second presentations before the assembly in June and November 2017.
2. Outline of the presentation
Through delivering a video message from Prime Minister Abe and a speech by Mr. Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan attracted the attention of the member countries to Japan’s potential to host a new concept of exposition focusing on the theme of “Human Lives,” an attempt unique to Japan backed by its rich experience in hosting expositions in the past.
In addition, Japan explained the attractiveness of the exposition under its plan, including provision of meticulous support measures for participating countries, e.g., the Assistance Programme for Developing Countries,* and its ongoing efforts involving the co-creation platform by industrial players in Japan to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the United Nations, while interweaving video clips with Pokemon mascot, special envoys to host the exposition, to explain the scheduled exposition sites.
*Note: The programs are support measures targeting participating developing countries in expositions that candidatures to host an exposition are required to submit to the BIE along with a bid dossier. The plan should include estimation of expenditures for constructing pavilions, travel and accommodations. For details, visit the following website:
3. Details of the presentation
- Video clip for opening the presentation
- Opening speech: Ms. Ayako Kawatake, medical student, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University (PDF：202KB)
- Speech [i]: Dr. Shinya Yamanaka, Director, Center for iPS Cell Research and Application, Kyoto University (PDF：315KB)
- Video clip for Japan’s concept [i], in which Prime Minister Abe delivered his message
- Speech [ii]: Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry (PDF：335KB)
- Video clip for Japan’s concept [ii]
- Speech [iii]: Mr. Sadayuki Sakakibara, Chairman, 2025 Japan World Expo Committee, and Honorary Chairman of Japan Business Federation (PDF：382KB)
- Speech [iv]: Ms. Tomomi Fukumoto, Executive Officer, Suntory Holdings Limited (PDF：404KB)
- Video clip for closing the presentation, accompanied by a violin performance played by Ms. Ikuko Kawai, Professor, Osaka University of Arts
4. Future schedule
November 23, 2018: BIE General Assembly (host country will be determined by a vote after the final presentation)
Division in Charge
International Exhibitions Promotion Office, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group