January 15, 2019
On January 15, 2019, Mr. Yoshihiko Isozaki, State Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, and Mr. Greg Hyslop, Chief Technology Officer, The Boeing Company (hereinafter "Boeing"), signed an “Agreement between the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan and Boeing on Cooperation in Aircraft Technology.” This agreement aims to strengthen their cooperation in the technologies expected to be required in future aircraft.
- Based on mutual trust built over many years between Japan and Boeing in the aircraft field, METI and Boeing agreed to strengthen their cooperation in the field of technologies that are expected to be necessary for future aircraft for the purposes of enhancing the competitiveness of Boeing’s future aircraft and further development of Japan’s aircraft industry.
- After signing the agreement, METI, related Japanese companies and organizations and held a meeting with Boeing on cooperation in future technologies based on the agreement, and exchanged information and views on technologies in respective areas described in the agreement.
2. Key points of the agreement
- METI and Boeing will cooperate in areas such as electric technology, including advanced lightweight batteries, advanced motors and controllers necessary for electric propulsion systems in aircraft; high-rate, low-cost composite production technologies; and automation technologies to improve manufacturing productivity.
- METI will identify Japanese partners with potential in the above areas, will introduce them to Boeing and will endeavor to provide necessary support to such Japanese companies.
- Boeing will aspire to strengthen cooperation in the above areas by sharing with METI and with potential partners its strategic vision of the future of air transportation, and by working towards the implementation of applicable technologies.
- State Minister Isozaki, METI
- Chief Technology Officer Hyslop, The Boeing Company
Meeting on cooperation in future technologies
- Agreement between the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan and The Boeing Company on Cooperation in Aircraft Technology(PDF:83KB)
Division in Charge
Aerospace and Defense Industry Division, Manufacturing Industries Bureau