January 24, 2019
Aiming to vitalize demand for tourism in Hokkaido Prefecture, the region adversely affected by the Hokkaido Eastern Iburi Earthquake of September 2018, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) has been advancing a variety of efforts to convey Hokkaido’s attractiveness as well as to brand regional products supported by designers both inside and outside Japan.
1. Project for Supporting Hokkaido: “We Are Genki Hokkaido”“We are Genki Hokkaido” is a slogan which has been employed in Hokkaido Prefecture for the prefecture’s revitalization campaign after the earthquake in September 2018. In order to promote the campaign, METI has been advancing the Project for Supporting Hokkaido, which conveys visitor-friendly topics and the prefecture’s natural beauty and cultural significance to both people inside Japan and to China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea, the United States, Australia, and European countries. GLAY, a Japanese rock band originally formed in the prefecture, was appointed as ambassadors of this project in order to convey information on the prefecture through a variety of media. In addition, Ms. Ai Fukuhara and Mr. Chiang Hung-chieh, a world-famous married couple of table tennis players, will support the project. METI and other stakeholders join together to support Hokkaido for early revitalization.
- Conveyance of Hokkaido’s attractiveness utilizing media and influencers
- Programs produced by influencers, for e.g., entertainers, bloggers and YouTubers, in association with Japanese media agencies
- Production of a variety of contents by overseas media agencies, for e.g., websites, TV programs, magazines and SNSs
- Production of contents for PR activities
- Publishing a video explaining the concept of the project in which people convey the vitality of the prefecture while streaming a GLAY song titled “Be Loved” as background music
- Webpage featuring Hokkaido provided on an EC webpage of the China Central Television (CCTV)
- PR activities at the Sapporo Snow Festival (from February 4 to 11, 2019)
- Unveiling of a video clip explaining events and festivals across the prefecture
- Serving soup made of ingredients which are cultivated and carefully selected in the prefecture
- Travel tours designed by travel planners worldwide for promoting tourism in the prefecture
- Dispatching of monitor tourists to the prefecture (targeting foreign students as residents in Japan)
Further detailed information on the project will be updated and publicized on the website below.
2. “Hokkaido to Go” Project
Under this project, METI has been dispatching designers both inside and outside Japan to the prefecture in order to discover its attractiveness from new perspectives and to spread these to the public.
- Supporting entities in Hokkaido in branding products supported by designers inside and outside Japan
- Re-designing of packages and other elements of the existing products through collaboration between SMEs or other entities in the prefecture and designers inside and outside Japan;
- Implementing training programs for SMEs to encourage their sustainable product development and improvement; etc.
- Public relations making use of websites and leaflets
- Conveyance of information on processes and achievements of supporting companies in branding products supported by designers inside and outside Japan;
- Conveyance of contents involving tourism in multiple languages for successful branding of regional products; etc.
Note: The official website for this project will open around mid-February 2019.
Moreover, the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) has been advancing other project for supporting Hokkaido, including that for conveying Hokkaido’s attractiveness by inviting influencers, buyers and other talented persons from overseas countries and that for holding business seminars or face-to-face counseling in the prefecture by inviting coordinators who are local experts from overseas countries.
Division in Charge
Cool Japan Policy Division, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group