January 28, 2019
From January 22 (Tue.) to 26 (Sat.), 2019, Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, visited Davos, Switzerland. He attended an Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) and meetings related to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and held meetings with participating ministers of Member countries.
1. WEF Annual Meeting (January 23 (Wed.) and 24 (Thur.))
Minister Seko attended the following five sessions of the WEF Annual Meeting:
- He attended an Advisory Board Meeting of the WEF Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution as a co-chair, and expressed Japan’s hopes for the center and explained efforts that the WEF Center for the Fourth Industrial Revolution Japan has been advancing.
- At a Media Leaders Briefing on the Japan Challenge: Society 5.0, he expressed Japan’s challenging efforts for achieving its national policy called “Society 5.0”
- At the session of Strategic Outlook for Japan, he explained Japan’s efforts for economic growth.
- At the session on trade and investment, he stressed the importance of enhancement of rule-based trading frameworks and other opinions.
- At the session on hydrogen, he explained Japan’s efforts for expanding dissemination of hydrogen.
Media Leaders Briefing on the Japan Challenge: Society 5.0
Session of Strategic Outlook for Japan
2. Ottawa Ministerial on WTO Reform group meeting in Davos hosted by Canada (January 24 (Thur.)) and an Informal Meeting of Ministers on the WTO E-commerce (January 25 (Fri.)
Minister Seko attended an Ottawa Ministerial on WTO Reform group meeting in Davos hosted by Canada and exchanged frank views with participating ministers.
In addition, he attended an Informal Meeting of Ministers on WTO E-commerce as a co-chair with ministers of Australia and Singapore. After one year of discussions since the initiation of an exploratory work on electronic commerce at the 11th WTO Ministerial Conference in December 2017, 76 WTO Members agreed that they will commence WTO negotiations on trade-related aspects of e-commerce.
Ottawa Ministerial on WTO Reform group meeting in Davos
Informal Meeting of Ministers on the WTO E-commerce
3. Exchanging views with participating ministers of Member countries
Minister Seko held meetings with H.E. Mr. James Gordon Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification, Canada, H.E. Mr. Jyrki Katainen, Vice-President of the European Commission for Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness, and H.E. Ms. Ruhsar Pekcan, Minister of Trade, Turkey, and respectively exchanged views on efforts in near future.
Meeting with Minister Carr
Meeting with Minister Pekcan
Meeting with Vice-President Katainen
Division in Charge
- Information on the visit in general:
International Economic Affairs Division, Trade Policy Bureau
- Information on WTO-related issues:
Multilateral Trade System Department, Trade Policy Bureau