February 1, 2019
In June 2019, Japan will host the G20 Ibaraki-Tsukuba Ministerial Meeting on Trade and Digital Economy in Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture. The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) considers it important that the G20 meetings will take the lead in discussions for promoting trade and investment which contribute to sustainable and inclusive growth. METI intends to explain Japan’s case examples of leading international businesses that meet this purpose to stakeholders involved in the preparation for the G20 meetings. This explanation aims to provide backup for these businesses, foster momentum for other businesses to attempt to overtake such leading businesses and provide other G20 member countries with case examples as a reference in formulating their policies. To this end, METI will formulate a report which describes such case examples.
As the first step of this initiative, METI hereby started a call for case examples of leading international businesses.
1. Outline of this initiative
In order to promote trade and investment that contributes to sustainable and inclusive growth, industries need to realize that to appropriately meet such goals, governments are also required to support such businesses.
As part of efforts to this end, METI has been calling for G20 member countries to cooperate in Japan’s efforts for collecting and sharing case examples of leading businesses that meet such goals creating a reference for business operators and governments worldwide. In addition, METI hereby started a call for case examples of international businesses run by Japanese business operators.
2. Outline of the call for case examples of leading international businesses that contribute to sustainable and inclusive growth
(1) Outline of target case examples
METI will call for businesses, regardless of the size, that: contribute to sustainable and inclusive growth; have achieved good performance; and satisfy the following four requirements that are operated by a Japanese company or its overseas subsidiary:
- Business operated in overseas countries;
- Promising business that has been making or is expected to realize a profit;
- Business making a social impact on the region in which the business is operated; and
- Business taking new approaches different from conventional ones.
METI is looking forward to receiving your application.
(2) How to apply
If you wish to apply for this call, visit the following website for the Case Examples of Leading International Businesses Contributing to Sustainable and Inclusive Growth and send a completed application form in accordance with the application guide.
(3) Period of the call
From February 1 (Fri.) to 23:59 (local time), February 28 (Thur.), 2019
(4) Selection process
An examination committee of external experts will examine applications submitted by businesses and determine leading businesses.
(5) Secretariat and contact counter
IC Net Limited: Secretariat of the Case Examples of Leading International Businesses Contributing to Sustainable and Inclusive Growth
Personnel in charge: Yamanaka
Service hours: 10:00-17:30 on business days, except Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays
(6) Schedule (tentative)
- Early March 2019: Document screening
- Mid March 2019: Interviews
- Late March 2019: Final examination by the examination committee
- Mid April 2019: Second meeting of the G20 Digital Economy Task Force (DETF)
- June 8 and 9, 2019: G20 Ibaraki-Tsukuba Ministerial Meeting on Trade and Digital Economy
Division in Charge
International Economic Affairs Division, Trade Policy Bureau