February 19, 2019
On March 13, 2019, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) and the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED) will jointly hold a Symposium on Human Resource Development Toward Utilization of Nursing Care Robots, aiming to further introduce and disseminate such robots into and among the fields of nursing care and nursing care education.
1. Background and purpose
METI has been advancing the Project for the Development and Standardization of Robotic Devices for Nursing Care* started in FY2018. Through this project, METI, in collaboration with MHLW, has been providing measures for supporting entities in advancing efforts for commercialization of nursing care robots ranging from research and development to standardization, aiming to promote utilization of such robots among caregivers.
In FY2018, the Government of Japan revised the guidelines for training courses for fostering certified care workers to stipulate additional curricula that is to understand the significance and purposes of making use of nursing care robots and other welfare technologies, and the revised curricula will be implemented from FY2019. As seen in this revision, nursing care robots are increasingly integrated into nursing care educational materials.
Against this backdrop, METI, MHLW and AMED will hold a symposium aiming to raise awareness of nursing care robots among people involved in the fields of nursing care and nursing care education and to sharing case examples of leading efforts for introducing such robots broadly among training facilities for fostering certified care workers so as to encourage such facilities to utilize such case examples in lectures.
*Note: Project for the Development and Standardization of Robotic Devices for Nursing Care
The period of the project is three years from FY2018 to FY2020, and the FY2018 budget is 11 billion yen.
2. Program of the symposium
The symposium will provide the following agendas.
- Explanation of case examples of leading training facilities for fostering certified care workers that have introduced nursing care robots into lectures
- Explanation by a manufacturer of nursing care robots of its development concepts and how to use such robots
- Panel discussion by representatives of three stakeholders: a manufacturer of nursing care robots, a training facility for fostering certified care workers, and a nursing care facility on ideal approaches to future nursing care fields and related educational curricula
- Experiment-based event of nursing care robots
Through this event, METI, MHLW and AMED will aim to: further vitalize discussions between people involved in the fields of nursing care and nursing care education on the demand side and representatives of manufacturers of nursing care robots having technological seeds on the supply side; and encourage related people to introduce and disseminate such robots and information throughout their respective fields.
3. Organizers and supporters
Organizers: METI, MHLW and AMED
Supporters: The Japan Association of Training Institutions for Certified Care Workers and the Association for Technical Aids, Inc.
4. Date and venue
- Date and time: March 13 (Wed.), 2019; from 13:00 to 17:00
- Venue: Bellesalle Roppongi Grand Conference Center
(Address: 9th floor, Roppongi Grand Tower; 3-2-1 Roppongi, Minato Ward, Tokyo)
5. How to apply
If you wish to attend the symposium, visit the following website and send an application form.
Divisions in Charge
- Information on the symposium:
Robotics Policy Office, Manufacturing Industries Bureau, METI
- Information on MHLW projects related to nursing care robots:
Office for Development and Dissemination of Nursing Care Robots, Health and Welfare Bureau for the Elderly, MHLW
- Information on the new curricula of training courses for fostering certified care workers:
Office for Measures for Securing Welfare Human Resources, Welfare Promotion Division, Social Welfare and War Victims’ Relief Bureau, MHLW