Invitation for Public Comments on the Interim Report (Draft) by the Study Group on Security Assessment of Cloud Services
March 15, 2019
With the aim to encourage both public and government sectors to introduce cloud services in a more safe and secure manner, and to continue to use such services, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) have been jointly convening the Study Group on Safety Assessment of Cloud Services. Since its inauguration, the study group has been advancing discussions on assessment methods for the government to employ in using cloud services that ensure appropriate levels of security, and has been drafting an interim report concerning the discussion results.
METI hereby announces the invitation of public comments on the draft interim report from March 16 (Sat.) to April 16 (Tues.), 2019.
1. Background and purpose
Based on the Future Investment Strategy 2018 (approved by the Cabinet on June 15, 2018), METI and MIC have been advancing discussions on the methods of security assessment for cloud services, under the Study Group on Safety Assessment of Cloud Services since August 2018.
The study group brought together experts in the field of information security and data utilization, held discussions based on various existing cloud services guidelines on assessment methods necessary for the government to employ in using cloud services that ensure appropriate levels of security are met, and examined certification or examination systems inside and outside Japan.
With the generation of the draft interim report, and in order to receive opinions from a wide variety of stakeholders, METI and MIC invite comments from the public from March 16 (Sat.) to April 16 (Tues.), 2019.
While the subject of this public comment concerns the framework of the system, details of relevant standards used within the system are still under consideration. Therefore, public comment on these standards will be called upon on a separate occasion.
2. Subject on which comments are invited
- Draft interim report by the Study Group on Security Assessment of Cloud Services in Appendix 1 attached to the Japanese language press release.(PDF:814KB)
3. Details of the invitation
- Please refer to the guidelines on the public comment in Appendix 2 attached to the Japanese language press release.(PDF:283KB)
4. Period of the call
From March 16 (Sat.) to April 16 (Tues.), 2019*
*Note: Comments will be accepted until 12:00 a.m. (local time) on April 17 (Wed.), 2019.
Selected excerpts from Future Investment Strategy 2018 (approved by the Cabinet on June 15, 2018):
II. Developing infrastructures toward economic structural innovations
 Developing common infrastructures in a data-driven society
1. Encouraging investment in infrastructure systems and technologies
(3) Specific measures that Japan should additionally take
(ii) Securing cybersecurity
- Against the backdrop that cloud services have been become increasingly diversified and sophisticated, the public and private sectors in Japan should introduce cloud services into their systems in a more safe and secure manner and continue to use them, and to this end, in FY2018, the government should start discussions on approaches to assessing the safeness of cloud services by placing weight on the level of importance of information assets from the perspective of securing trustworthiness of such services in parallel with referring to overseas case examples.
Division in Charge
- Information Economy Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI
- ICT Strategy Policy Division, Information and Communications Bureau, MIC