New Establishment and Revision of the Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) (March 2019)
Establishment and revision of the JIS, including household reverse osmosis water purifiers, and safety requirement items for secondary lithium cells and batteries for use in industrial applications
March 20, 2019
The Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) is a collection of national standards stipulating the criteria for products to be sold in Japan, including their types/scales, quality/performance and safety. The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) has been revising and newly establishing such standards in response to societal and technological changes. METI publicly introduces the newly established and revised standards which are especially important for the economy and for the public once a month in a press release.
1. Outline of the new establishment and revision of standards
In March 2019, METI newly established 49 standards and revised 120 standards (see Appendix 1). In particular, METI believes that the following establishments and revisions of standards are especially important.
(1) Establishment of the JIS for household water purifiers using reverse osmosis
Reverse osmosis membrane (RO membrane), which was initially developed for desalination of seawater, is now used as a key technology for advanced water purifying plants all over the world.
While such membrane used to be mainly for industrial use, it is now being used for household water purifiers as consumer demand for such home appliances has increased. Based on this change, METI established JIS S3242 for household reverse osmosis water purifiers, which stipulates standards for the quality, test method, and maintenance method, so that consumers can obtain and continuously use reliable products.
Dissemination of products complying with this JIS will enable consumers to examine the quality and performance of water purifiers when purchasing, appropriately maintain the products, and continuously use the products reliably.
<Examples of the format of household water purifiers using RO membrane>
(2) Establishment of the JIS for amethod to measure the quality of mineral resources including bentonite, which are used for the manufacturing of molds for civil engineering and construction works, and for auto parts
Bentonite is used for many purposes, such as for stabilizers that protect the wall surface of earth cut in civil engineering and construction works, for water-stop materials to prevent the holding back of water, and for caking additives for molds used to manufacture auto parts, etc. METI established the JIS for a test method for methylene blue adsorption, a representative method to measure the performance of bentonite. If this results in wider use of this test method among manufacturers selling the product, it is expected to unify methods of measuring methylene blue adsorption, which currently differ among manufacturers, and to contribute to improving the convenience of user companies and the credibility of the resulting civil engineering and construction works.
(3) Revision of the JIS for electromagnetic compatibility for managing power-supply noise generated from electrical and electronic equipment
While the introduction of inverter-incorporated electrical and electronic equipment with high energy-saving performance is increasing, the generation of power-supply noise having a frequency that is an integral multiple of that basic frequency (harmonic current) is increasingly becoming a problem.
In Japan, a JIS is established to protect the quality of commercial-use power supply, such as household electric outlets, by setting the limit value and test conditions for the harmonic current. This JIS was revised by considering the revision of corresponding international standards, and also by considering the domestic situation, incorporating the latest technology. This allows consumers to use safe and high-quality commercial power sources.
<Impact of harmonic current on electrical and electronic equipment>
(4) Revision of the JIS related to safety requirement items for secondary lithium cells and batteries for use in industrial applications
JIS C8715-2 on the safety requirement items for secondary lithium cells and batteries was revised to make it consistent with international standards.
It is expected that this revision will not only ensure safety but also rationalize production and promote distribution/trade.
Example of secondary lithium cells and batteries for use in industrial applications
2. Outline of the JIS
Stipulated under the Industrial Standardization Act, the JIS are a collection of national standards certified by the Government of Japan, aiming at the improvement of mineral or industrial products in terms of quality, performance and safety, and at increasing and enhancing production efficiency and other areas.
The JIS stipulates a variety of product criteria, including types/scales, quality/performance, safety, testing methods for assessing these criteria, and other standard criteria that products should meet. These standards are utilized to ensure reliability in quality for manufacturers, users and consumers.
METI has been establishing new standards or revising existing ones for the JIS in response to technological advancements, safety requirements and other societal changes as necessary.
For more information on the JIS, visit the following websites:
3. Previous news release (explanation of the major establishments and revisions of the JIS)
4. Partial amendment of the Industrial Standardization Act
The Act of Partial Revision of the Unfair Competition Prevention Act, etc. (Act No. 33 of 2018) was approved at the 196th ordinary session of the Diet in 2018 and established. In line with this, the Industrial Standardization Act was partially revised to newly categorize data and services as targets of standardization under the Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS). Accordingly, the title of the Industrial Standardization Act changed from “Kogyo Hyojyunka Ho” to “Sangyo Hyojyunka Ho” in Japanese while the title of the Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) will be changed from “Nihon Kogyo Kikaku (JIS)” to “Nihon Sangyo Kikaku (JIS)” in Japanese.
For more information, visit the following website.
5. Contact information for inquiries on respective standards
For any inquiries on the details of publicized standards, please directly contact the relevant division in charge listed in Appendix 1.
- 1. List of Newly Established and Revised JIS Publicly Notified on March 20, 2019(PDF:221KB)
- 2. Establishment of the JIS for household water purifiers using reverse osmosis (in Japanese)(PDF:25KB)
- 3. Establishment of the JIS for method to measure the performance of mineral resources including bentonite, which are used for the manufacturing of molds for civil engineering and construction works, and for auto parts (in Japanese)(PDF:36KB)
- 4. Revision of the JIS for electromagnetic compatibility for managing power-supply noise generated from electrical and electronic equipment (in Japanese)(PDF:38KB)
- 5. Revision of the JIS related to safety requirement items for secondary lithium cells and batteries for use in industrial applications (in Japanese)(PDF:309KB)
Divisions in Charge
- Information on this press release:
Standards and Conformity Assessment Public Relations Office, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau
- Information on the JIS:
International Standardization Division & International Electrotechnology Standardization Division, Industrial Science and Technology Policy and Environment Bureau