March 20, 2019
The Japan Patent Office
The Japan Patent Office (JPO) generated a “Guide for Utilizing Trademark Learning from Case Examples: Trademark as an Indispensable Tool for Businesses.” This is the first guidebook which provides case examples exclusively for trademarks.
The guidebook features familiar trademarks, such as product names or logos, and explains approaches to take advantage of trademarks for business, advantages of acquisition of trademark rights and other topics while referring to case examples of trademark utilization by leading companies. Moreover, the guide also provides an overview of the trademark system so that readers are smoothly able to learn about the system.
The JPO wishes that not only people who intend to make use of trademarks but also those who have already been doing so will pick up and read the guide.
1. Summary of the guide
Trademarks are an indispensable tool for businesses, as seen by product names and logos.
The Guidebook for Utilizing Trademark Learning from Case Examples suggests approaches to take advantage of trademarks, as an indispensable tool mentioned above, for business purposes, advantages of acquisition of trademark rights and other topics while referring to case examples of trademark utilization by leading companies, e.g., SMEs and regional associations. Moreover, the guide explains an overview of the trademark system, frequently asked questions and other issues.
This is the JPO’s first guidebook which provides case examples exclusively focusing on trademarks with specific explanations from the standpoint of businesses.*
The JPO wishes that a broad range of people involved in businesses, not only those who intend to make use of trademarks but also that those who have already been doing so, will pick up and read the guidebook.
*Note: The guidebook was prepared as an outcome of the FY2018 Project for Research for Effects Brought about by Acquisition of Trademark Rights and Utilization of the Trademark System conducted by the JPO.
Cover of the guidebook
2. How to access the guidebook
A PDF version of the guide has been publicized on the JPO website below. The paper booklet of the guide will be issued around the summer of FY2019 and distributed free of charge.
- JPO website for access to the Guidebook for Utilizing Trademark Learning from Case Examples (in Japanese)
3. Details of the guide
(1) Case examples of trademark utilization by leading SMEs and other entities
- This section explains approaches that companies and other businesses should take in developing a trademark, events that have motivated such leading companies to acquire their trademarks, approaches to and effects of utilization of their trademarks after the acquisition of the rights and other topics in a specific manner.
- This section also introduces companies and other right holders’ fresh opinions concerning the passions that they have put into the trademarks, awareness that they had after their utilization of the trademarks and other issues.
(2) Explanation of the trademark system
This section features users’ frank questions on basic knowledge for the trademark system, such as “What is a trademark?,” “What is a trademark right?,” and “How can we undertake procedures for trademark registration?,” and gives answers to such questions using easy-to-understand language.
Division in Charge
Trademark Division, Trademark and Customer Relations Department, Japan Patent Office