April 16, 2019
From April 14 (Sun.) to 15 (Mon.), 2019, Mr. Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, visited Beijing, the People’s Republic of China, to attend the Fifth Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogue.
In addition, he paid a courtesy call on H.E. Mr. Li Keqiang, Premier of the State Council, and held a meeting with H.E. Dr. Zhong Shan, Minister of Commerce.
1. Fifth Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogue
- The Fifth Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogue was held on April 14 (Sun.) and Minister Seko, Mr. Taro Kono, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and other related ministers of Japan attended the dialogue. As for the issues in which the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) is in charge, the related ministers in Japan and China held a wide variety of discussions mainly on the issues below:
- Macroeconomic policies, the current economic situation, etc. in Japan and China;
- Promotion of trade and investment observing the international rules and practices, importance of improving business environments (in particular, Japan conveyed to China its recognition of some issues, including forced technology transfer, protection of intellectual property rights, appropriate data handling and industrial subsidies.), enhanced cooperation in the fields of energy conservation and the environment, etc.;
- Promotion of efforts for specifying inter-business cooperation that satisfies international standards and brings about benefits to third countries, as part of the cooperation in third-country markets, continuous discussions on specific advancement of efforts in the field of intellectual property and challenges therein as initiatives for development of standards and environments that contribute to creating new markets, as part of the cooperation in innovations, etc.; and
- Japan-China collaboration in efforts involving the G20, RCEP and WTO reforms, importance of solving the excess capacity problem, etc.
2. Courtesy call on Premier Keqiang
- On April 15 (Mon.), Minister Seko, together with Minister Kono and other related ministers, paid a courtesy call on Premier Keqiang.
- The two sides exchanged views on: multilateral issues, e.g., the WTO reforms, the excess capacity problem and RCEP, and bilateral cooperation, e.g., cooperation in achieving a hydrogen-powered society and cooperation in third-country markets.
3. Meeting between Minister Seko and Minister Zhong
- On April 15 (Mon.), Minister Seko held a meeting with Minister Zhong.
- The two sides exchanged views on certain issues, including the WTO reforms, toward the G20 Ministerial Meeting on Trade and Digital Economy that Japan will host in June 2019, and China agreed that Japan will exercise leadership as a chair of the G20 in collaboration with China. Concerning the cooperation in third-country markets, they confirmed advancement of Japan-China collaboration toward creation of specific projects that satisfy international standards as well as acceleration of negotiations for RCEP to conclude them by the end of 2019.
Link to related information:
- The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Summary of the results of the Fifth Japan-China High-Level Economic Dialogue
Division in Charge
Northeast Asia Division, Trade Policy Bureau