Seminar on Overseas Business Development to be Held Targeting Mid-ranking Companies and SMEs
Effort under the Consortium for New Export Nation Program
April 22, 2019
As the scales of domestic markets are expected to shrink, Japanese companies, in particular, SMEs, are facing an urgent need to enter global markets by making use of advantages derived from a variety of economic partnership agreements (EPAs) between Japan and other countries, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Agreement, the Japan-EU EPA and the RCEP which is under negotiation, to the maximum extent possible.
This seminar will provide opportunities for participants to learn about keys to successful overseas business development from a variety of global perspectives and the valuable experiments of companies that have succeeded in developing overseas business. Representatives of such companies will make presentations on making use of EPAs and other agreements, current situations of overseas markets, approaches to making use of e-commerce (EC) and other issues.
Date and time: May 15 (Wed.), 2019; from 13:30 to 16:30
Venue: Lecture hall on the second basement level (B2), METI Main Building (1-3-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo)
Part I: Presentations (From 13:30 to 15:00)
- Topic: Global expansion of FTA/EPA and overseas business development of Japanese companies
Speaker: Mr. Keisuke Hanyuda, Corporate Officer / Consulting Partner / Regulatory Strategy Leader, Deloitte Tohmatsu Consulting LLC
- Topic: Recent trends in consumption in overseas markets
- Speaker: Mr. Shingo Yorifusa, Director for Food Exports, Department of Overseas Products, Headquarters for Product Planning, AEON RETAIL Co., Ltd.
- Topic: Cultivation of overseas markets by taking advantage of EC business
- Speaker: Mr. Ehihyo Oh, CEO, Inagora Inc.
Part II: Panel discussion of representatives of successful companies (from 15:00 to 16:30)
- Mr. Naoya Eto, President, Nakaya Corporation
(Manufacturer of architectural tools located in Sanjo City, Niigata Prefecture)
- Mr. Shigeyuki Nozawa, President, Noz Co., Ltd.
(Manufacturer of wooden furniture for children located in Takarazuka City, Hyogo Prefecture)
- Mr. Nobuhiro Aoki, Director-General and President, Aoki Group
(Retailer of fruits and other products located in Koriyama City, Fukushima Prefecture)
- Mr. Shuichi Hirano, Director-General for Supporting Companies in International Business Development, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
Moderator: Mr. Kohei Shiino, Associate Professor, Faculty of International Studies, Takushoku University
Simultaneous side event: Face-to-face counseling event
From 12:15 to 13:15 and from 16:45 to 17:45; 20 to 30 minutes per counseling session
At this side event, experts from JETRO will give advice about trade and investment and provide information on measures for supporting SMEs. If you wish to receive counseling, visit the JETRO website for the seminar and complete a registration form by searching for “Apply for counseling” on the application website.
Organizer and co-organizer of the seminar: METI and JETRO
How to apply:
If you wish to attend the seminar, visit the events webpage on the JETRO website and fill in and send the application form.
Closing date of application: 12:00 p.m., May 10 (Fri.), 2019
Division in Charge
- Information in general:
Trade and Economic Cooperation Bureau, METI
- Application reception and inquiry counter:
Overseas Business Development Division, JETRO
(Service hours: 9:00 to 12:00 / 13:00-17:00; except Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays and year-end and New-Year)