April 27, 2019
1. Second Belt and Road High-Level Forum for International Cooperation
(1) On April 25 (Thur.) and 26 (Fri.), 2019, State Minister Seki attended the Second Belt and Road High-Level Forum for International Cooperation held by the government of China in Beijing, together with Mr. Toshihiro Nikai, Secretary-General, Liberal Democratic Party of Japan (LDP), Mr. Motoo Hayashi, Acting Secretary-General, LDP, Mr. Hiroaki Nakanishi, Chairman, Keidanren, and other officials of Japan. The forum also brought together the heads of state from 37 countries and representatives of as many as 150 countries from all over the world.
(2) On April 25, 12 thematic forums forums were held. State Minister Seki attended a forum concerning policy connectivity in the morning and also participated in a forum concerning trade connectivityand delivered a speech in the afternoon. In the speech, he stressed the importance of the two following points: formulation of an international framework for promoting data distribution in which mutual trust is secured in the fields of privacy and security as part of efforts for building a bridge of trust that connects people worldwide, backed by observation of fair and reciprocal rules, the achievement of which may be facilitated by the G20 Osaka Summit that Japan will host in June 2019; and, regarding Japan-China business cooperation in third countries, enriching mutual understanding between companies and reducing various risks in accordance with international standards, such as openness, transparency, economic performance and healthy finance of target countries.
(3) In the morning of April 26, State Minister Seki attended an opening ceremony, in which H.E. Mr. Xi Jinping, President, China, delivered a keynote speech, and in the afternoon he attended a high-level plenary forum, at which the heads of participating countries and international organizations stated their opinions concerning the Belt and Road Initiative.
Forum concerning policy communication Forum concerning trade facilitation
2. Meetings with dignitaries and other officials of participating countriesOn April 26 (Fri.), taking the opportunity of visiting Beijing, State Minister Seki, LDP Secretary-General Nikai, LDP Acting Secretary-General Hayashi and other officials of Japan jointly held individual meetings with Mr. Song Tao, Minister, International Department Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, and H.E. Mr. Nguyen Xuan PHUC, Prime Minister, Viet Nam.
Division in Charge
Northeast Asia Division, Trade Policy Bureau