May 7, 2019
On April 27 (Sat.), 2019, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) made a statement that Japan will become the first partner country for the IFA/NEXT exhibition, a special side event of the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA), the world’s leading exhibition of consumer electronics, to be held in Germany in September 2019. This statement was released at the IFA 2019 Global Press Conference (hereinafter referred to as the “IFA/GPC”) held in Andalusia, the Kingdom of Spain, on the same date.
By opening the Japan Pavilion at the IFA exhibition site and explaining Japan’s efforts for innovation, METI is endeavoring to support Japanese companies in developing business overseas.
Participating in international exhibitions to communicate with the international community concerning their cutting-edge products is considered to be an effective method of accelerating overseas business development for Japanese companies, since the events bring together both potential customers and press from around the world. To this end, METI has been advancing efforts to encourage outstanding Japanese startups selected under the J-Startup Program called “J-Startups” and other businesses to expand business opportunities through establishing partnerships with organizers of international exhibitions.
As part of these efforts, on April 27 (Sat.), 2019, METI announced that Japan will become the first partner country for the IFA/NEXT exhibition, during the IFA/GPC held in Andalusia, the Kingdom of Spain, on that date.
2. Information on IFA and IFA/GPC
- Title: The IFA Global Press Conference
- Date: April 27 (Sat.), 2019; from 11:00 to 15:00
- Venue: Barcelo Punta Umbria Mar, the Kingdom of Spain
- Outline: IFA/GPC was held for the press as a pre-event before IFA, the world’s leading exhibition of consumer electronics to be held in Germany in September 2019.
- Title: The Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA)
- Date: From September 6 (Fri.) to 11 (Wed.), 2019
- Venue: Messe Berlin, the Federal Republic of Germany
- Outline: IFA is the world’s leading exhibition of consumer electronics. In 2017, the IFA/NEXT exhibition started as a special side event of IFA to provide an area for start-up businesses and other exhibitors to communicate information on their innovations to the world. In 2019, IFA/NEXT launched a new effort by designating a specific country as a partner country.
3. Future schedule
By opening the Japan Pavilion at the IFA exhibition to be held in September 2019 and advancing other efforts, METI is endeavoring to support J-Startups and other Japanese companies in developing business overseas.
Division in Charge
IT Industry Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau