Collection Compiled of Reference Cases for Prior Notice and Announcement: As Part of the Guidebook for Utilization of Camera Images
May 17, 2019
The IoT Acceleration Consortium (ITAC), the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), and the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) compiled a “Collection of Reference Cases for Prior Notice and Announcement: As Part of the Guidebook for Utilization of Camera Images” (hereinafter referred to as the “collection”), aiming to further encourage businesses to appropriately make use of camera images.
1. Outline of the Guidebook for Utilization of Camera Images
On March 30, 2018, ITAC, METI and MIC released a Guidebook for Utilization of Camera Images Version 2.0 (hereinafter referred to as the “guidebook”) so as to encourage businesses to utilize images taken by cameras installed in specific areas or stores bearing in mind the characteristics of such images. The guidebook is a compilation of streamlined approaches that businesses should carefully consider in protecting the privacy of ordinary citizens who may be subjects of camera images as well as in appropriately communicating with ordinary citizens.
Reference: Guidebook for Utilization of Camera Images Version 2.0
2. Outline of the collection
Among such approaches presented in the guidebook, in particular, it is critical for businesses to present a prior notice or announcement of necessary information on camera images to ordinary citizens before they start taking such images or if they take them so that ordinary citizens are able to smoothly understand the purpose or way of using such images and make inquiries to businesses that operate cameras.
The collection hereby released explains case examples of prior notices and announcement of taking camera images from the following viewpoints, in which METI makes the names of cooperating businesses anonymous.
- Types of appropriate information for a prior notice or announcement;
- Types of desirable locations for placing a poster and other physical means for such notice; and
- Types of desirable approaches to utilization of websites or other digital means for showing such notice.
Along with this, the collection explains well-designed efforts that businesses have been tackling to enhance communication with ordinary citizens, which is an explanation not included in the guidebook.
METI expects that the collection, which is recommended to be referred to with the guidebook, will help businesses engaging in efforts for utilization of camera images to establish mutual understanding with ordinary citizens.
3. Announcement of the collection
- Appendix: Collection of Reference Cases for Prior Notice and Announcement: As Part of the Guidebook for Utilization of Camera Images(PDF:1,600KB)
Divisions in Charge
- Information Economy Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI
- Second Telecommunications Consumer Policy Division, Telecommunications Business Department, Telecommunications Bureau, MIC