June 7, 2019
The Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) will conduct a fact-finding survey targeting people engaging in film production with the aim of ensuring further development of the film industry over the next 20 to 30 years.
1. Background and purpose of the survey
The Japanese film industry has produced many works backed by workers with a diverse range of skills. In order to have the industry continue producing high-quality content, it is indispensable to improve working conditions for all workers, including freelancers, in the industry.
This survey aims to understand the current status and the big picture of the circumstances surrounding people working in the film industry in order for the industry to achieve sustainable development while seeking further overseas business expansion. Specifically, a questionnaire survey is to be conducted targeting individuals engaging in film production with regard to the details of their work, status of daily living, career paths, and transaction status, etc. with the aim of understanding concrete case examples (a fact-finding survey targeting companies related to film production is also conducted).
This survey is conducted with the cooperation of related bodies, including the Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan, Inc. and the Japan Film Makers Association.
2. Survey period
- Survey targeting individuals: June 10 (Monday) to September 30 (Monday), 2019
- Survey targeting companies: July 2019 (scheduled)
3. Targeted work types
producers, directors, production department, arrangement department, filming department, lighting department, recording department, art department, decoration department, costuming department, hair and make-up department, scripters and note-takers, editing department, special machinery department, vehicle department, movie still photographers, audio production and audio suite department, studio staffs, and CG and VFX department
* Cast members, their managers, and scriptwriters are excluded.
4. Survey methods (survey targeting individuals)
A leaflet, "Request for Cooperation for the Questionnaire Survey," is to be delivered at production sites (filming studios and filming locations, etc.). Survey targets are asked to make responses online to the prescribed format of the multiple-choice questionnaire that can be accessed from the 2D code indicated on the leaflet.
5. Cooperative bodies
- Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan, Inc.
- Motion Picture and Television Engineering Society of Japan, Inc.
- Japan Post Production Association
- All Nippon Producers Association (scheduled)
- Japan Film Makers Association
- Directors Guild of Japan
- Japanese Society of Cinematographers
- Japanese Society of Lighting Directors
- Japan Cinema and Television Sound Creator Association
- Association of Production Designers in Japan
- Japan Society of Editors
- Japanese Society of Script Supervisors
- Japan Visual Art Council
- Visual Studio Association
6. Future schedules
Monday, June 10: Commencement of the survey (start to deliver the leaflet)
This autumn onward: Compilation of the survey results and holding of review committee meetings
7. Reference materials
- Request for Cooperation for the Questionnaire Survey (leaflet)(PDF:436KB)
- Outline of the Fact-finding Survey on Film Production Sites(PDF:79KB)
Division in Charge
Media and Content Industry Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau