June 11, 2019
FY2018 Measures to Promote Manufacturing Technology is a report on measures that the government of Japan has taken to promote core manufacturing technologies, which was compiled pursuant to Article 8 of the Basic Act on the Promotion of Core Manufacturing Technology (Act No. 2 of 1999).
This report was jointly prepared by three ministries, namely the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW), and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), and approved by the Cabinet on June 11 2019.
Key points of the White Paper on Monodzukuri 2019
The report presents the following four points as specific measures for encouraging Japanese manufacturing industries to maintain and enhance their competitiveness in the future:
- Provision of demand-focused services taking advantage of high global shares and quality data;
- Winning a greater global share in the field of important parts and raw materials amid the advancement of the fourth industrial revolution;
- Securing of skilled human resources and establishment of organizations, which are necessary for manufacturing industries facing the new era; and
- Digitalization of skills and further enhancement of thorough energy conservation
The first section of Chapter 1, which was jointly written by the three ministries of METI, MHLW and MEXT, reviews the history of manufacturing industries in the Heisei era as well as that of the White Paper on Monodzukuri. Based on this review, the second section of Chapter 1 titled “Challenges that the Japanese Monodzukuri Industry is Facing and Future Perspectives Thereof,” which was written by METI, analyzes the global position of Japanese manufacturing industries, development of new business models, environments in which skilled human resources can play a leading role and other issues while referring to a variety of case examples.
- 1.Summary of the White Paper on Monodzukuri 2019 (FY2018 White Paper on Manufacturing Industries) (A4-size version) (in Japanese)(PDF:12,656KB)
- 2. Full text of the White Paper on Monodzukuri 2019 (FY2018 White Paper on Manufacturing Industries) (in Japanese)(PDF:54,349KB)
For further details, see the Japanese language press release.
Division in Charge
Manufacturing Industries Policy Office, Manufacturing Industries Bureau