July 4, 2019
In May 2019, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) formulated a Guide for SDG Business Management*. METI decided to provide the guide to people from inside and outside Japan during available opportunities, such as the G20 meetings. As part of the efforts to this end, METI informed participants of the guide’s existence and shared relevant information about it during the G20 Ibaraki-Tsukuba Ministerial Meeting on Trade and Digital Economy held on June 8 and 9, 2019, in Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture, and at the site of the G20 Osaka Summit held on June 28 and 29, 2019. Details are as follows.
1. Providing information on the guide at the G20 Ibaraki-Tsukuba Ministerial Meeting on Trade and Digital Economy
(1) Descriptions of the guide were included in the G20 Ministerial Statement on Trade and Digital Economy and other documents
At the G20 Ibaraki-Tsukuba Ministerial Meeting on Trade and Digital Economy, participating countries organized and shared a collection of case examples of efforts by companies and policies in a variety of countries that contribute to sustainable growth and inclusiveness through trade and investment.
The collection of case examples includes a section titled “The Initiative for the Guide for SDG Business Management” as a cutting-edge effort by the government of Japan, and this section explains the guide and the SDG Management / ESG Investment Study Group** organized by METI.
Note: This is an excerpt from the Business and Policy Examples for Sustainable and Inclusive Growth through Trade and Investment.
Moreover, the collection was referred to as below in the G20 Ministerial Statement on Trade and Digital Economy, was distributed at the ministerial meeting and published on the METI website.
(Experts from the G20 Ministerial Statement on Trade and Digital Economy)
(2) Distributing the guide at exhibition booths
Taking the opportunity of the ministerial meeting, companies, the governments of participating countries and other associations showcased exhibition booths to explain trade and digital economy and called visitors’ attention to their efforts.
METI, the Cabinet Office, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Environment of Japan collaboratively operated exhibition booths and proactively publicized both the Guide for SDG Business Management and the SDGs Business Incubation Platform, which is an initiative jointly advanced by the related ministries and agencies, to important stakeholders from both inside and outside Japan, including the ministers and other governmental stakeholders of participating countries, and representatives of municipalities, including Mr. Tatsuo Igarashi, Mayor of Tsukuba City.
2. Publicizing the guide at the site of the G20 Osaka Summit
Additionally taking the opportunity of the G20 Osaka Summit, METI made use of the booths constructed for the G20 which exhibited current government efforts in order to distribute both the guide and a leaflet of information related to its content and use, and brought the guide to the attention of the wide range of participants attending the event, including government, company and municipal stakeholders.
- *1. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are UN-set goals which will allow for the realization of a sustainable world.
- **2. The SDG Management / ESG Investment Study Group brings together CEOs of large companies and venture businesses representing Japan, investors, heads of universities and heads of international organizations to hold discussions on approaches that companies should take in introducing SDG business management, viewpoints that investors may take in assessing such management and other issues.
3. Links to related information
- The Guides for SDG Business Management Compiled
- Report on Discussion Results of the SDG Management / ESG Investment Study Group Compiled
- The Guidance for Collaborative Value Creation for Successful Dialogues between Companies and Investors (Guidance for Integrated Corporate Disclosure and Company-Investor Dialogues for Collaborative Value Creation: ESG integration, Non-financial Information Disclosure and Intangible Assets into Investment)
- G20 Ibaraki-Tsukuba Ministerial Meeting on Trade and Digital Economy Held
- Top webpage of the G20 Osaka Summit (official website of the G20 summit meeting)
- Sustainable Development Goals Promotion Headquarters (Prime Minister’s Office website)
Division in Charge
Industrial Finance Division, Economic and Industrial Policy Bureau