July 11, 2019
On July 10, 2019, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) and the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) of China held the sixth meeting of the Japan-China Chemical Industrial Policy Dialogue at METI in Tokyo. Following on from the previous meetings, this meeting brought together officials and representatives from associations and companies related to the chemical industries in Japan and China. Participants exchanged views on current situations, challenges and future perspectives surrounding the chemical industries in both countries and on future efforts, including cooperation, toward resolving the challenges.
With interchanges of transaction between Japanese and Chinese chemical industries increasing, Japan and China held the first meeting of the Japan-China Chemical Industrial Policy Dialogue in 2009, and then held the second meeting in 2012, as opportunities for exchanging views on a variety of issues in the chemical industries in the two countries. In recent years, amid increasing inter-dependency as seen in the trend of the increasing scale of chemical-product trade between Japan and China, Japan and China have been holding annual meetings of the Japan-China Chemical Industrial Policy Dialogue since 2016 alternately in Japan and China. As an effort following on from past years, METI and MIIT held the sixth meeting of the dialogue at METI.
2. Outline of the meeting
- Japan and China exchanged information on the current situations of the chemical industries in Japan and China and on challenges that the industries are facing, such as measures against global warming, including the Paris Agreement.
- In light of the significance of the measures for addressing offshore plastics, a recent global issue, participants shared information on the latest international trends and the efforts tackled by Japan and China and agreed that the public and private sectors in the countries will continue to collaborate and cooperate in this field.
- In light of the current situations in China, participants explained industrial efforts and efforts for making industrial safety smarter, and agreed that Japan and China will continue to cooperate in the field of chemical-industrial safety.
- Participants affirmed anew the importance of information exchange involving policies for the chemical industry in Japan and China and agreed that the countries will continue to hold dialogues.
- Participants welcomed an exchange event between the Japanese and Chinese chemical industries (Japanese side: The Japan Chemical Industry Association, the Japan Petrochemical Industry Association, etc.; Chinese side: The China Petroleum and Chemical Industry Federation, etc.) as a side event of the Japan-China Chemical Industry Conference which is scheduled to overlap with the Sixth Meeting of the Japan-China Chemical Industrial Policy Dialogue.
Division in Charge
Material Industries Division, Manufacturing Industries Bureau