Memorandum of Cooperation in the Field of Mining with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, the Philippines, Signed
August 19, 2019
On August 16, 2019, Mr. Yoshihiko Isozaki, State Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), and H.E. Mr. Jonas R. Leones, Undersecretary of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Republic of the Philippines, signed a memorandum of cooperation (MOC) in the field of mining, during Undersecretary Leones’ visit to Japan.
1. Purpose of the MOC
The MOC aims to promote Japan-Philippines cooperation in the field of mining. To this end, the two countries will inaugurate a public-private joint conference to confirm progress in cooperation projects in the fields covered under the MOC. Outlines of the cooperation fields as of today are as follows.
2. Outlines of the cooperation fields
- Improving mining policies for exploration, development and operation;
- Sharing information on supply-demand balance of mineral resources, a variety of matters related to mining operation, including environment protection and contribution to local areas, and other related matters;
- Securing safety in the field of mining;
- Assessing environmental impact in an appropriate manner;
- Deploying fair and appropriate business activities; and
- Improving investment environments so as to attract investors.
Through this framework, METI will promote efforts for improving investment environments in the field of mining in the Philippines and will contribute to the development of the field.