October 2, 2019
On October 1, 2019, Mr. Matsumoto Yohei, State Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, visited Germany and attended the Global Ministerial Conference on System Integration of Renewables, an event jointly held by the International Energy Agency (IEA) and the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) of Germany. At the conference, State Minister Matsumoto delivered a speech on Japan’s challenges toward making renewable energy a major power source and future approaches to addressing those challenges, and he attended a panel discussion. Following this, he held individual meetings with heads of international organizations including Dr. Fatih Birol, IEA Executive Director and participating ministers of member countries.
1. The Global Ministerial Conference on System Integration of Renewables
The conference, which was jointly held by the IEA and BMWi, aimed to share information on innovative efforts for and the latest knowledge on expanded introduction of renewable energy, mainly focused on the system integration of renewable energy.
The conference brought together over 200 government and private company stakeholders from all over the world, including heads of state and international organizations that exhibit leadership in expanding the introduction of renewable energy around the world, such as H.E. Mr. Peter Altmaier, Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy, Germany, and IEA Executive Director Birol.
As a representative of Japan, State Minister Matsumoto attended the conference and delivered a speech on Japan’s current circumstances of introducing renewable energy, its challenges in making renewable energy a major power source, e.g., higher costs and grid constraints, and actions taken to overcome these challenges. Moreover, he attended a panel discussion together with ministers responsible for energy in Sweden, Thailand, Poland and Morocco and Mr. Francesco La Camera, Director-General, the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), and the participants engaged in active discussion.
- State Minister Matsumoto delivering a speech
- Panel discussion
2. Bilateral meetings with participating ministers responsible for energy
State Minister Matsumoto held individual meetings each with: Mr. Andreas Feicht, State Secretary, BMWi, Germany; Mr. Tomasz Dbrowski, Undersecretary of State, Ministry of Energy, Poland; IEA Executive Director Birol; and IRENA Director-General La Camera.
- At the meeting with State Secretary Feicht, Germany, the two sides exchanged views on future cooperation in the field of hydrogen, while welcoming the progress in the joint demonstration project for stabilization of electricity systems with storage batteries.
Meeting with State Secretary Feicht
- At the meeting with Undersecretary of State Dąbrowski, Poland, the two sides exchanged views on future cooperation in the field of clean coal technology and cooperation toward the coming 2019 IEA Ministerial Meeting to be chaired by Poland, while welcoming the progress in the joint demonstration project for stabilization of electricity systems.
Meeting with Undersecretary of State Dąbrowski
- At the meeting with IEA Executive Director Birol, Japan appraised the IEA’s response to the suspension of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s oil production. Following this, the two sides exchanged views on Japan’s cooperation toward the 2019 IEA Ministerial Meeting
Meeting with Executive Director Birol
- At the meeting with IRENA Director-General La Camera, the Director-General expressed his gratitude for Japan’s contribution to IRENA’s past activities. Following this, the two sides exchanged views on future cooperation.
Meeting with Director-General La Camera
Division in Charge
International Affairs Office, Policy Planning Division, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Department, Agency for Natural Resources and Energy