October 4, 2019
On September 25, 2019, a commendation ceremony for honoring the winners of the 13th Kids Design Awards, a program that METI has been supporting, was held and one winner of the Grand Award (Prime Minister’s Award) and four winners of the Excellent Awards (METI Minister’s Awards) were publicized. Mr. Miyamoto Shuji, Parliamentary Vice-Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, attended the ceremony and delivered a celebration speech for the winners.
1. OutlineThe term “Kids Design” herein refers to a group of ideas and activities for utilizing the power of design to create a social environment that will contribute to the sound growth and development of children, who will become the next generation.
The Kids Design Awards (organized by the Kids Design Association, an NPO) is a program for recognizing outstanding products, spaces, services, activities, and academic programs that have achieved either of three missions on designs for children: [i] designs that contribute to the safety and security of children, [ii] designs that develop children’s creativity and shape their future, and [iii] designs that contribute to comfortably raising children.
2. Winners of the 13th Kids Design Awards
Under the 13th Kids Design Awards, the Kids Design Association received 437 applicants for the program and selected 263 winners for their works. Among the winners, the association further selected one winner for the Prime Minister’s Award as the Grand Award and four winners for the METI Minister’s Awards as the Excellent Awards.
Prime Minister’s Award (one winner)
Title: STEAM Educational Program Taking Advantage of Flying Disc-based Exercises
METI Minister’s Awards (four winners)
- Designs that contribute to the safety and security of children; Category: Children
LIXIL Group Corporation
Title: Resilience Bathrooms
- Designs that contribute to the safety and security of children; Category: General
Paloma Co., Ltd. and Osaka Gas Co., Ltd.
Title: Gas-based Built-in Oven “Avance”
- Designs that develop children’s creativity and shape their future; Category: Creative
Nnamsports, Kirakira Aato Hoikuen (nursery school), Miyazaki C-Dance Center (NPO), and the Center for Collaborative Research & Community Cooperation of the University of Miyazaki
Title: Transparent Gym “Kirakira”; International Children and Young People Theater Miyazaki “CandY.Theater”: Building used as a nursery school in the daytime and as a theater at nighttime and on weekends
- Designs that develop children’s creativity and shape their future; Category: Literacy
The Japan Association for UNICEF, Yamagata University, and Takenaka Corporation
Title: Workshop for Designing Public Parks by Kids
Other winners and details thereof
- List of the winners of the 13th Kids Design Awards
3. Commendation ceremony
On September 25, 2019, a commendation ceremony was held in Roppongi, Tokyo. As a representative of METI, Parliamentary Vice-Minister Miyamoto attended the ceremony, delivered a celebration speech for the winners and stated his expectations for further promotion of Kids Design. He also honored the winners with the Prime Minister’s Award and the METI Minister’s Awards.
- Parliamentary Vice-Minister Miyamoto delivering a celebration speech
- Parliamentary Vice-Minister Miyamoto honoring the winner with the Prime Minister’s Award
4. Contact counte
Division in Charge
Cool Japan Policy Division, Commerce and Service Industry Policy Group