October 21, 2019
In collaboration with related ministries, agencies and associations, the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) designated a certain period around July 24 as Teleworking Day, the day on which the opening ceremony of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games will be held. METI will take initiative to conduct teleworking during such period until 2020, targeting companies and entities across Japan. In the first campaign in 2017, 63,000 people from approximately 950 associations participated, and in the second one in 2018, approximately 302,000 from 1,682 associations participated, showing the significant growth of the campaign.
In the third campaign in 2019, METI called companies to participate in the campaign during the period from July 22 (Mon.) to September 6 (Fri.), in particular, by setting the two periods from July 22 (Mon.) to August 2 (Fri.) and from August 19 (Mon.) to 30 (Fri.) as the periods during which companies are recommended to intensively participate in the campaign. As a result of the call, approximately 680,000 people from 2,887 associations participated.
METI hereby announces that it will hold a public briefing on the 2019 campaign as scheduled below, aiming to broadly raise public awareness on the outcomes of the campaign and thereby further disseminate and facilitate teleworking among the public.
Title of the event: Public Briefing on the 2019 Telework Days Campaign
Date and time: November 11 (Mon.), 2019; from 15:00 to 17:00
Venue: Otemachi Sankei Plaza Hall (4th floor, Otemachi Sankei Plaza; 1-7-2 Otemachi, Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo)
Organizers: The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC), the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW), METI, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT), and the Cabinet Secretariat and the Cabinet Office
Co-organizers: The Tokyo Metropolitan Government, the Keidanren, the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Tokyo Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Japan Telework Association
How to apply: If you wish to attend the event, visit the website below and complete an application form for prior registration.
- Acceptance of applications will be closed as soon as the fixed number is reached.
- Please complete the form with: [i] the name of the company to which you belong, [ii] your name as attendee, [iii] your email address, and [iv] the number of people who will accompany you, and then send the form.
- The secretariat will notify when the fixed number is reached on the website.
- On the date of the event, please inform the name of the person who has applied to the staff at the reception counter.
- For more information on how to apply, contact the secretariat below:
Secretariat of the 2019 Telework Days Campaign
Service hours: 10:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 17:00 on weekdays (except Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays)
1. Opening remarks by organizers
2. Public briefing on the results of the 2019 Telework Days Campaign
Information and Communications Bureau, MIC (as a representative of the organizers)
3. Presentations by associations providing special cooperation to the 2019 campaign
All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd.
Daiichi Sankyo Company, Limited
NEC Corporation (in the order of the Japanese syllabary)
4. Results of the 2019 measures for smooth traffic and efforts for reducing traffic volume in 2020
The Secretariat of the Headquarters for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Cabinet Secretariat
5. Efforts for teleworking in the Tokyo Metropolitan Government
Bureau of Industrial and Labor Affairs, Tokyo Metropolitan Government
6. Closing remarks
Japan Telework Association
Division in Charge
IT Innovation Division, Commerce and Information Policy Bureau, METI