Acceptance of Applications Begins for Seminar “Project for Promoting Utilization of Intellectual Property Rights in Fukushima: Fukushima and IP”
December 12, 2019
On January 22 (Wed.), 2020, the Japan Patent Office (JPO) will hold a seminar to encourage the public to make use of intellectual property (IP), titled “Project for Promoting Utilization of Intellectual Property Rights in Fukushima: Connect Ideas and Skills to Business,” in Koriyama City, Fukushima Prefecture.
This seminar will provide a speech by Dr. Yoshino Akira, Honorary Fellow, Asahi Kasei Corporation, and 2019 Nobel Prize winner in chemistry, on the very first story of his development of lithium-ion batteries and other topics. It will also provide a panel discussion of representatives of companies in the prefecture that have participated in the project for developing Hayabusa2, an asteroid explorer now advancing its mission for uncovering the birth of the solar system and the beginning of life on Earth, concerning the very first story of their space development with some topics of IP.
1. Outline of the project
Inaugurated in FY2018, the Project for Promoting Utilization of Intellectual Property Rights in Fukushima aims to provide opportunities for SMEs, students and people in the prefecture to learn the advantages of becoming aware of and utilizing IP and also aims to popularize efforts for utilizing IP across the prefecture.
Under the project in FY2019, the JPO held seminars and workshops in three cities of the prefecture: Minamisoma City, Aizuwakamatsu City and Shirakawa City. The seminar in Koriyama City, the last event under the project in FY2019, will focus on the subject of “Fukushima and IP,” and explain FY2019 efforts conducted under the project.
2. Outline of the seminar
(1) Date and time: January 22 (Wed.), 2020; 14:00 to 17:20 (tentative)
Venue: Koriyama City Central Community Center (address: 1-8-4 Hayama, Koriyama City, Fukushima Prefecture)
1) Opening remarks
2) Speech: Efforts for IP utilization in Fukushima (tentative topic)
Speaker: Mr. Matsunaga Akira, Commissioner, JPO
Commissioner Matsunaga will explain the current situations of IP utilization in Fukushima Prefecture and other issues and also describe the JPO’s efforts, including its Project for Dispatching Business Producers to Fukushima, an initiative in which the JPO dispatches IP experts expertized in creating IP-based businesses to SMEs in the prefecture and supports such SMEs in creating new businesses, as well as seminars and workshops held in three cities in the prefecture.
3) Panel discussion: Key to successful development of Hayabusa2 and power of people in Fukushima Prefecture
This panel discussion will bring together three panelists: Dr. Saiki Takanao, leader of a JAXA project for landing Hayabusa2 on asteroid Ryugu; Mr. Sakamoto Tomohiko, Furukawa Battery Co., Ltd., who was committed to the development of lithium-ion batteries as power supply for an exploration vehicle in launching Hayabusa2 and other efforts; and Mr. Nochi Hideo, NEC Platforms Ltd., who engaged in designing, assembling and inspecting power source devices that operate communication equipment, as well as inviting as moderator Dr. Hirata Naru, the University of Aizu, who was in charge of reconstruction of, three-dimensional shape models of the asteroid Ryugu, which were basic information for finding a safe landing spot for Hayabusa2. These panelists will explain approaches that they took in the successful development of Hayabusa2 with some topics of IP efforts.
- Mr. Sakamoto Tomohiko, General Manager, LB Business Development Department, R&D Managing Division, Research & Development Institute, Furukawa Battery Co., Ltd.
- Mr. Nochi Hideo, Senior Manager, Production Innovation Department, Supply Chain Strategy Division, as well as Senior Manager, Manufacturing Engineering Department, Tohoku Region Production Division, NEC Platforms Ltd.
- Dr. Saiki Takanao, Assistant Professor, Department of Space Flight Systems, Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS), Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
- Dr. Hirata Naru, Senior Associate Professor, Research Center for Space Infomatics (ARC-Space), the University of Aizu
4) Special speech: The future engendered by lithium-ion batteries
Dr. Yoshino Akira, Honorary Fellow, Asahi Kasei Corporation
As a 2019 Nobel Prize winner in chemistry and a developer of lithium-ion batteries, an invention now applied to a variety of fields, such as cellphones, laptop computers and electrified vehicles, Dr. Yoshino will deliver a speech on the very first story of his development of lithium-ion batteries as well as on some topics involving his acquisition of patents.
5) Closing remarks
3. How to apply
For information on how to apply for the seminar, program, etc., visit the official website below.
- JPO website exclusively for the Project for Promoting Utilization of Intellectual Property Rights in Fukushima: Connect Ideas and Skills to Businesses
Division in Charge
Information Dissemination and Policy Promotion Division, Policy Planning and Coordination Department, Japan Patent Office